Chapter 29

Okay, we know we've disappeared for so long, but senior year is the one to blame! But don't worry, to make up to you guys, we're gonna be uploading two chapter today! *YAYYYY!* Enjoy! And don't forget to vote and comment! :D -M&N

************************************************

Ace pulls over in front of his apartment, and we both get out of the car. He stands next to me and offers his hand. “Ace, you know we’re just going up to your apartment not some royal ball.” He acts offended and gasps, “How do you know there isn’t some kind of royal ball going on up there?” I giggle and he kisses my forehead. When we reach his apartments, I go in first then he follows. I settle on his fluffy couch, a.k.a, the couch we first made out on. I smile and blush as memories of that night crawl their way to my mind. Ace sits down beside me and put an arm around my shoulders. “Did you have fun tonight?” He says as he intertwines his fingers with mine and rubs circles on my hand. “Yeah,” I nod smiling. “I really had fun. Your friends are really nice; I was beginning to think the world was run over by a Chloe Apocalypse, but your friends prove that the world is exhumed.” I grin. Ace shakes his head as he laughs, “I knew you shouldn’t watch the movie, E. Now you’re making references to it!”

“He’s hot!” I point a finger at him to prove my point. “Oh my god! You’re never letting it go, are you?” He sighs in exasperation. “Why don’t you go make out with him while I bring a bowl of popcorn and watch you two?” He crosses his hands over his chest. “Aww! You’re jealous.” I say as I pinch his cheek and he swats my hand away. “You know I wouldn’t choose a zombie over you, not even a cute one.”

“Prove it then.” He says, smiling mischievously.

“No, I’m hungry.”

He cocks an eyebrow at me then finally gives in, “Okay, what do you want?”

I tap a finger on my lips as I go through the list of things that might seem appealing to me, “Molten cake!”

“You had to choose something hard, didn’t you?” He huffs playfully.

“Please?” I say as I run my hand up and down his chest and move to settle in his lap.

His jaw tightens and he struggles to say, “You keep doing this and you won’t be eating till the morning.”

“Sorry.” I hold my hands up in the air and get off his lap.

He stands up and grabs his key, “I’m gonna go buy ice cream and flour and those other things you make a molten cake with; I’ll be back in ten.” He says as he exits the apartment.

I look around the place, trying to find something to do till he comes when my eyes settle on the TV remote. I grab it and turn his plasma screen on. I surf through the channels for a few minutes when I grow bored. Ace must have something to read around. I stand up and place my hands on my hips, looking around the place for some books or magazines. I find a pile of magazines in the corner of the room. I make my way to it and kneel beside it, looking for something catchy enough. Something does catch my eye: a bunch of envelopes sealed by the name Hector Moreno. I hold the envelopes carefully, trying not to scatter them around the floor. I settle back on the couch and open the first one. I part my lips as I start reading,

I, Ace Moreno, hereby agree on fulfilling the deal I had with Adrian Sanchez, Diego Abascal, and Jose Castell, led my father Hector Moreno. I agree on setting fire to Alex’s apartment and ensuring that he doesn’t get out alive. I concur to all the conditions, including never speaking a word of this deal to anyone and to never ask my father, Hector Moreno, for money ever again. I strip him from his responsibilities toward my mother and me. In return, I expect to be paid $5000 at the end of the deal.

My legs are shaking; tears are running down my face and clouding my vision. I stop breathing, and my hand immediately covers my mouth as loud sobs echo in the room. I’m breaking into tiny little pieces and it’s like Alex is dead all over again. I’m the broken girl huddled in a corner in the hospital corridor, watching as they took away the body of the boy I loved. The pain comes rushing at me like a tidal wave. The pain of being vulnerable. Of loving someone so much then losing them. Haven’t I already learned my lesson since last time? And here I go again, falling for a guy who—I break down again—falling for a murderer…Because that’s what he is isn’t it? That’s the big secret he never wanted to tell me because he was too much of a coward to. Hell, maybe he knew from the very beginning and only got with me to rub it all in my face. I should have never fell for his sweet gestures and perfect words. The other shoe has dropped. I am a fool for believing I could have a perfect guy who accepts all my flaws. I put the letter beside me and wipe my tears with my sleeve as I start reading the second letter, unable to stop now.

How are you, Ace? I hope the money you took is holding you and your mother up, if not, don’t bother asking again. Except if you want to engage in another similar deal.

Hector Moreno

I turn the letter back and find Ace’s handwriting scrabbled in big red letters, Fuck you, asshole!

The rest of the letters were checks and steps he has to follow to finish the ‘deal’ successfully. I walk back to the pile of magazines, my whole body shaking uncontrollably.

“Sweetheart, I’m back!” Ace calls out as he enters the apartment, not yet seeing me. I freeze, wincing at the friendliness in his voice. How did I stay fooled this long?  He comes up behind me, “What are you doing, Eternity?”

I look down at my hands, holding the letters and say, “What is this, Ace?” I’m still giving him my back

“What is what?”

“Those letters.” I turn around to face him. His eyes land on the letters and his eyes widen. He drops the bags in his hands and instantly comes closer. I drop the letters and flinch when his hand touches my bare skin. “Don’t.” A faint cry leaves my lips.

“Eternity, please! Please, you have to hear me out!” He grabs my arm before I make my way to the door.

“No, Ace! No! I know you had a pretty messed up past especially after you refusing to open up to me. But, you killing my boyfriend and almost killing me? No, Ace, that’s way more than I signed up for. I exit the apartment and make my way downstairs, not even bothering to take the elevator. Ace follows me, calling my name as he descends each step, but I’m too gone to stop and listen. When I go out of the building, he succeeds at catching me, “Please, Eternity, just let me drive you home and we can talk on the way. It’s not what it looks like, I swear!” The desperation in his voice is palpable but I just can’t afford to listen to him now, not when I’m on the verge of shattering into a million pieces. “No, I’ll get a cab or take the bus. Hell, I’ll even walk just to get away from you!” I yell at him and break free of his grip. I run to God knows where, my tears no longer trapped in my eyes; instead, they run free and stain my face. I run away from this moment, from those revelations, but most importantly from my weakness, Ace.