Chapter 24

Hey guy, the new chapter is finally here! Sorry for the long wait, but things at school have been really crazy! -.- But we promise this chapter is worth it, you'll enjoy!XD Don't forget to vote and comment! -M&N

************************************************

I’m staring at my phone like my life depends on it. Please let this go as planned, please! I go over my plan: Ace is supposed to have dinner, ‘chit chat’ with my parents, and go home. And this day would be over. “Eternity,” Just what I needed! I look up from my phone and look at the figure by the door. “Yes, dad,” I say and roll my eyes. I have a slight feeling he caught me because he shakes his head and stand in front of me. He looks down at me sympathetically; obviously, we’re not past the whole Alex thing. “Can we talk?” He asks. No matter how many times he’s used this technique at questioning me, I can’t get used to him treating me as his client not his daughter. “Of course.” I nod and groan internally. He takes a seat on the couch beside me and turns to me, his full attention cast on me. That’s new. “How are you, Eternity?” He smiles. “I’m good, better than I’ve ever been.”

“Is it because of…” He looks around, as if he’s searching for the name on the walls of the living room.

“Ace.” I sigh frustrated.

“Yes, him?” He nods.

“Yes, dad.”

“Do you love him?”

“Yeah.” Isn’t that obvious?!

“Does he love you back?”

“I don’t know… I guess.” He just had to ask me that, didn’t he?!

He nods.

Really? Is that all I get?

“We miss you, Eternity.”

“Why?” I frown. “You’ve always been out of my life. Why now?”

“Because we love you.” He says it as if it makes perfect sense.

I retort, “And, you just realized that?”

He stays quiet for a moment before he says, “Eternity, we know that we’ve been bad parents to you, and, yes, we’ve just realized that. That’s why we’re trying to make it up to you by inviting Ace here. We want to get to know him; we want to get to know you two together.”

I stay silent, dumbfounded, “Okay…” “But I’m not seeking approval.” I raise my eyebrow as I state my condition.

“Fair enough.” He raises both his hands, surrendering.

The doorbell rings before I could reply, and I’m instantly on my feet. My mom heads towards the door as I stare at her moving figure, dreading that dinner more and more. Even though, my dad’s words have calmed me down a little bit, I’ve still got my mom to worry about…

“Hey, Ace.” My mom smiles at him before her smile turns into a frown when she sees the figure beside him. Shit! I was too focused on Ace that I forgot to mention the extra visitor to my mom. I bang my head internally. “Hey, Anne.” Angel smiles at her, and my mom smiles back at her. Well, at least they’re trying. I make my way to the door with my dad and kiss Ace gently then I turn to Angel and hug her, “Thank you for coming,” I whisper in her ear before I pull back.

“Dinner is ready; Eternity, take Ace to the dining room till I have a word with Angel.” I shoot a warning glance at my mom, and she nods understandingly. My dad walks into the dining room, and I follow him with Ace intertwining his fingers with mine. I take a seat beside Ace, knowing that Angel will be sitting on the other side of him. Yes, like a shield wall. Ace rests his hand on my knees as he leans toward me and whispers, “Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m just worried about what my mom has to say to Angel.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I’m sure Angel can handle herself.”

“I know; I just don’t want any more awkwardness,”

He nods, and just on time, my mom and Angel walk into the room.

“Nice to meet you, Ace. I’m Anne and this is Josh.”

“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Hayes, Mr. Hayes.”

After this small introduction, silence falls as everyone starts to eat. Ace hasn’t taken his hand off my knee the whole time; I guess it’s his little way of assuring me that everything will be okay. “Tell me, Ace.” I choke on my food as I hear my dad’s voice addressing Ace. “Where are your parents?” I feel Ace stiffen beside me, and I place my hand over the hand he placed on my knee. “My dad… My dad is.. He is busy. He’s always been busy, and those days he just seems to have vanished.” His grip tightens on my knee and I squeeze his hand.

“Busy, huh?” My dad says, the hesitation in his voice is as tangible as the dining table we’re sitting around. Thankfully, Angel steps in, “Well, I’m sure that’s not a bad thing. Eternity has been raised under similar circumstances, and she’s perfect.” She shoots a glance at my mom and mouths something I can’t catch. What have these two been talking about? Right on cue, my mom changes the subject. “What about your mom?” She smiles sweetly.

“She’s in a coma. She’s been in a coma for a year now.”

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry.” My mom places a hand on her chest. “Don’t worry, she’ll be okay soon.”

Ace smiles at her politely.

“Do you have any siblings then?” My dad speaks up.

“Yes, I have a sister.”

“You do?” It’s my turn to be confused now.

“Well, I had.” He says and I frown. “She had some sort of disease; I’m not sure what it was; I was too young back then.”

When everyone stops for a minute to take in everything Ace just revealed, he leans in and whispers, “She committed suicide to get out of my dad’s suffocating grip,” I choke on the water I’m drinking and start coughing. “Are you okay, Eternity?” Mom asks worriedly.

“Yes, yes, perfectly fine.” I say, my voice higher than usual. Angel glances at me and I nod at her. I lean towards Ace and whisper, “I’m sorry.” I stroke his hand, and he holds it tightly.

“Well, excuse me, Ace, but how do you sustain yourself?” My dad asks and his grip tightens on my hand. “Ow!” I whine not so discreetly. “Are you okay, Eternity?”

“Yes, I just bit my tongue.”

My dad is still looking expectantly at Ace, and apparently, Angel can’t find anything to say cause she’s placing her head in her hands now. “I… I sometimes borrow money from my dad. And when he’s not around, I pick up random jobs, you know? But nowadays, he’s around, so I don’t have to work.” His stuttering jumble comes to an end at last.

“How are you gonna marry then?” The hell?!

“Who am I gonna marry?” Ace questions, he’s at total lost to what my dad is implying.

I grip the end of the dining room and pray for anything to happen before my dad opens that mouth of his again. “Josh, don’t be silly.” Angel laughs her brilliant laugh and says, “No one is getting married. He’s still 16..,”

“17,” Ace interrupts.

“17, he’s still young. Teens don’t marry now, Josh.” She laughs playfully and glares at him. 

“Are you done, Ace?” I ask him loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Yeah?” He says, confused.

“Good then, let’s go up to my room.”

Before my parents could object, Angel silences them. I wait for Ace to be out of hearing shot then I turn to my dad and give him my best death glare as I say, “You, we need to talk after this thing is over!” I hiss and stomp away from the dining room.