heaven, help me

wc; 823

short one because it's a part one of two!

~line~

It was supposed to be just another recording day. They were supposed to see had more musical talent. Ethan has his ukelele, Mark had his guitar. They set themselves up outside near Mark's pool, tripod up to make it easier. Amy was busy that day so they had to record alone.

Mark had a few songs that he'd been practicing, but he didn't know which one he would perform for sure. Apparently, neither had Ethan.

"Okay, hold on lemme think," Ethan laughed lightly, smiling and looking down.

Mark smiled, glancing away. God, that smile. That damn smile.

"Alright, I think I'm good," Ethan breathed out, grabbing his ukelele and getting ready.

Mark leaned his guitar on his side, looking over at Ethan. He smiled softly, listening as Ethan played Riptide by Vance joy.

Mark tilted his head slightly, enjoying the music. He was trying to keep his walls up. His mask where he avoids any and all contact with Ethan in the videos. Whenever he said "don't touch me" he really didn't mind. It was an act for the videos.

"Mark?" Ethan asked quietly. Mark hadn't noticed that Ethan was finished.

"Oh, uh, sorry. Gotta admit, you're pretty good," Mark replied, mask back on, walls up.

"You got a song?" Ethan asked.

"Uh, yeah, I got two," Mark said. "Do you want the faster one first or the slower one?"

"Fast one I guess?"

Mark nodded, starting to pluck on his guitar Disenchanted by My Chemical Romance. He played through that song pretty well.

At the end, Ethan clapped around his ukelele, smiling.

"Alright, yes, thank you, I know. I'm awesome," Mark boasted. "You got a second song?"

Ethan nodded, getting ready to play. Even though Mark had just played Disenchanted, his other song was in his head.

Ethan started playing House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots, Mark smiled, closing his eyes and listening. His mask fell again, and he felt at peace. Ethan's voice was so nice to listen to.

He felt a tap on his shoulder and opened his eyes. "Hm?"

"Are you okay?" Ethan asked, laughing slightly.

"I- yeah I'm fine." Mark stumbled over his words. "Why?"

"I dunno, you're acting weird."

"Weird?"

"You're just closing your eyes and listening to me, I don't know!"

"I- well it- you sound nice," Mark admitted reluctantly, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand. He felt his face heating up slightly.

"Aw, Mark!"

"Sh-shut up," Mark grumbled, looking down.

"Well, its time for your second song." Ethan gently nudged Mark, putting his ukelele down.

Mark sighed, grabbing his guitar. "Alright, fine." He started strumming the beginning to I Do Adore.

"Everything you do it sends me
Higher than the moon with every
Twinkle in your eye
You strike a match that lights my heart on fire"

"When you're near, I hide my blushing face
And trip on my shoelaces
Grace just isn't my forté
But it brings me to my knees when you say"

"Hello, how are you, my darling today?
I fall into a pile on the floor
Puppy love is hard to ignore
When every little thing you do, I do adore"

"We're as different as can be
I've noticed you're remarkably relaxed
And I'm overly uptight
We balance out each other nicely"

"You wear sandals in the snow
In mid-July I still feel cold
We're opposites in every way
But I can't resist it when say"

"Hello, how are you, my darling today?
I fall into a pile on the floor
Puppy love is hard to ignore
When every little thing you do, I do adore"

"Finding words, I mutter
Tongue-tied, twisted
Foot in mouth, I start to stutter
Ha, ha, Heaven help me"

"Hello, how are you, my darling today?
I fall into a pile on the floor
Puppy love is hard to ignore
When every little thing you do, I do adore
Every little thing
Every little thing
Every little thing you do, I do adore"

Mark hadn't looked up from his fingers. He was nervous to look up at Ethan. He closed his eyes, taking a breath, before looking up.

Ethan wasn't looking at Mark, but his cheeks were red.

"Ethan?" Mark asked quietly, afraid. He could see Ethan's throat bob as he gulped.

"W-was that about me?" Ethan asked quietly.

It was Mark's turn to gulp now. Why was he so nervous? He never gets this nervous. He bit the inside of his lip. Ethan looked at him now.

"Was it?"

A simple question. Yes or no answer. Why can't he speak? Just say yes. Or even nod! A simple nod would suffice. He's staring at you, waiting for an answer. He's just as nervous as you, just do something!

Mark nodded slightly, words weren't working. Word machine broken, try again later.

Ethan wasn't looking anymore. What's he doing? Why does he need his ukelele? Oh. That's why.