pretending

wc: 3575
tw: none
coffee shop au because why not yknow
i stayed up way too late writing this
~~line~~

At first glance
I thought I'd find you in the palm of my hands
So I asked my friends
They told me kid you do not stand a chance

Mark first saw the regular a few months ago. Ever since then he always had to serve the guy. Mark always asked for morning shifts because the guy came in every morning around 8:30, always asking for a coffee with extra cream and sugar. Like, way too much sugar. To the point where it probably didn't taste like coffee anymore. But Mark loved making it, and whenever he saw the kid come into the store he knew to make that exact order. 

When Mark first asked Bob about the kid and if he might be, y'know, a bendy ruler in a sea of plastic rulers. Of course, Bob had no idea what that metaphor was so Mark had to explain he had just made it up to say 'gay in the crowd of straights'. Bob then agreed that the kid was definitely not straight.  But he also had said that with those looks the kid was already taken. Mark had been disappointed, yet he kept working morning shifts to see him.

Well I've been talking, I've been wondering
I've been thinking, if not me, then who?

So today, Mark decided to write his number on the guy's cup. "Here you are, one coffee and extremely extra cream and sugar," he chuckled, smiling. He handed the cup over the counter with a wink. The guy laughed at the comment.

"Thank you very much, I like my sweets," He giggled, handing over the exact change. "Have a nice day," He paused and looked at Mark's name tag. "Mark." He smiled before turning and going to his usual seat.

Mark took the next customer's order, hands shaky. Afterwards, he walked to the back. "Wade, I finally did it," He blurted out, smiling widely.

"You got balls?" Wade asked, looking up from his task.

"I mean, metaphorically I guess. I gave the guy my number," Mark confessed.

"Oh shit, good for you, dude. Hope it goes well and he doesn't just think you're the creepy barista," Wade spoke.

Mark glared at him. "If anything, you're the creepy barista." He walked back to the front hearing Wade scoff at him. Mark sat on the stool behind the register, resting one foot on one of the bars, letting the other hang. His resting foot was making his leg bounce like crazy as he waited for another customer or anything to happen. In his pocket, he felt his phone buzz. He looked over at the guy he gave his number to, but quickly looked away because the guy was looking at him. Mark smiled sheepishly and took his phone out.

Unknown Number: hey i'm ethan, the one you gave your number to :P

Mark smiled and looked back over at Ethan. He looked back at his phone to reply.

Mark: hey ethan, as you know i'm mark lol... glad you actually texted. i was nervous you wouldn't text

After that, the two became close. Everyday, Ethan came in and got his normal coffee, talking to Mark when he was there. It went on like that for a few months.

So I start walking and building up the courage
To say directly to you

Ever since Mark gave Ethan his number, the former had been getting feelings for the younger guy. They had hung out a few times, but usually only in the shop, Memento Capulus, after Mark's shift was over. Even then Mark always felt butterflies in his stomach. How was this guy so charming to Mark? He hadn't felt this way for anyone in a while.