The institution episode 16

The Institution - Episode 16

26th of March 2011

Ben Oscar drove over to the Momoh's house. Mrs Momoh opened up and she almost rolled her eyes in disappointment. It was who emshe expected to see. She had been waiting for Ivie to visit.
She wondered why Ben would visit after a long time but she invariably guess that it had to be about Ivie.
"Good morning Ruth"
"Morning Ben" she answered then she let him in.
"Accept my condolences once again on Isreal's death"
"Thank you"
"Is Ivie home?" "No, why are you asking? You do know she's married" "I learnt the marriage was a bit shaky so I thought she would be here"
"She's not... Why are you asking about her? You haven't asked after her in years"
"You do know that's not true, even Isreal knew I asked of that young woman every chance I get . You can ask Dode too" he added then he saw Dode seated in the sitting room.
"Talk about the devil. I called your secretary, she said you weren't around so I decided to pay her a visit" he pointed at Mrs Momoh.
"And I'm pretty sure you didn't come for condolences alone and I'm pretty sure you didn't come to discuss burial matters either" Dode snapped, not ready to beat about the bush and Ben rolled his eyes.
"You do know I cared about Isreal like a brother would. Fine, we had our differences but he was still my friend"
"Why don't you go straight to the point Ben and going around in circles"
"Am I that transparent? Seriously? Okay. Can I at least have a seat?" He asked and Mrs Momoh scoffed.
"Don't be silly" Dode answered and Ben sat looking at her. "I came concerning Ivie," he replied and Mrs Momoh sniggered.
Just as she guessed!
"I've had more visits from your party members more than I have of my late husband's own. What do you all want me to do? To kill myself? My daughter doesn't even pick my calls anymore, she doesn't want to listen to anyone. She's bent on doing what she wants and quite honestly, I'm tired of trying. She's stubborn"
"I guess the apple doesn't fall from the tree, does it?" Ben chuckled then be cleared his throat.
"This thing Ivie is doing is dividing people's thoughts towards the governor. If Ivie continues on this obsession of hers, it might not work well for her"
"Is that a threat?"
"No! It's not a threat dear, going against the governor himself, she can be charged for sedition and she'll have to stay a year or more. You have to talk to her"
"She's not picking up our calls and mom doesn't want to go over to her house" fourteen years ago Ese who had been listening in to the discussion answered from behind and Ben glanced at Dode.
"I don't want anything happening to my sister" she added.

****

"Okay spill" Dode answered after they walked out of the house. "What?" Ben asked, "I know you have more to say"
"Let's move far away from ears first. Ivie is biting more than she can chew"
"Say a word that sounds like a threat again and I'll punch a tooth out of your mouth"
"Babylon is suggesting they kill Ivie"
"That idiot will never stop acting rash! If he lays a single hand on my God daughter, I'll kill him personally" "Calm down"
"Don't tell me to calm down! Cause I'll personally kill him with my bare hands. Imagine how the state will be managed with the likes of Babylon!" "No one will be killing Ivie, that I promise you. I'm looking into talking to Samuel but Ivie has to act like she's backing down. It will be better she does this in secret. Samuel is really scared of her and he's willing to accept whatever means to get her out of the way"
"Ivie is stubborn, it's like her pregnancy hormone is making it worst. She's convinced her father was murdered, how true is that?" He asked and Ben stalled.
Dode scoffed then he held Ben's shirt pinning him down to his car.
"You just folded your hands and watched them kill your own friend"
Ben's driver came out to defend him but Ben raised his finger up.
"Stay back!" He ordered and the driver did.
"I wasn't until days ago I found out about it. That was what I wanted to talk to you about. I'm in full support of Ivie contesting the election results. I'm only being two faced"
"Like you always have"
"Call it whatever you want to, I call it deflection, I go where I feel is right for me and right now, I don't even want to be in the same room with Babylon much less the same party. I'm trying gather facts and when I do, I'll make Ivie win in court and maybe I'll make Isreal proud wherever he is; heaven or hell"
"Why don''t you tell Ruth?"
"I can't cause women talk a lot. Can you believe the daughter was even listening to our discussion? We can't let things like this spill. We have to do this carefully"