The institution episode 14

The Institution - Episode 14

****

Ivie watched one of the newscasters give a live news and she smiled. UD passed some Trance Fm annual report magazine to her as she had requested and Ivie smiled looking at it.
At June 12 general market for students in University of Benin, Ese entered into one of the photocopying shed. It was congested and it reeked of sweat so she quickly got out as a result of the thick stench.
"Ese Momoh?" Uki called out and she turned towards him smiling. "Hey!" She smiled, "What are you doing here?"
"I need to type and submit this assignment before the close of the day . We're supposed to submit it individually by three"
"When were you given the assignment?"
"Today. Apparently it's our second test and he called it a mini project and I'm even yet to write up something about it."
"Can I help out?" He asked, after a bit hesitation, she agreed and they both went into a bacha tent where Uki spoke to the owner was a friend then they both settled on a spot with his laptop.
"So what do you want to write on?"
"I don't know, I was thinking of..." She brought out her phone looking at it her topic of interest.
"Newspaper readers-perception on campaigns for the eradication of corruption nigeria"
"Um.... "Good topic. What do you have?" "I saved some pages and documents. I'll send it to you"
"How about you use something fresh. This is a relatable topic, I can even relate to it"
"There's no time"
"I remember a certain woman establishing a particular newspaper to tackle corruption here in Benin" he chipped in and she chuckled.
"I really don't want to write about my sister"
"Why? She's a legend"
"You guys should stop thinking of her that way! You're encouraging her. What she did was wrong"
"What's wrong about revolution? Every vitriolic government deserves revolution and that was what your sister tried to do." He answered.
"What do you have against what she did?"
"Every man should he loyal to the government. That was what I grew up learning"
"That's a big lie from the pit of hell, no girl is even loyal to their boyfriends" he answered and she chuckled.
"I'm serious. Take this example, imagine you're getting married to a man you didn't know was a beast. A day to your wedding, he hits you hard, what do you do?"
"I'll kill him! No one should ever lay their hands on women, I'll sue him to court, I'll take him to social media, I'll ruin his career"
"That was probably how your sister felt about Samuel Godwin? A beast who was about to be married to the whole affairs of our state. She decided to stop him"
"By plotting to kill him"
"Do you actually believe she did that?" He asked and she scoffed. "I... I..." She stammered, "She's not even my sister but I believe she didn't do it"
"I don't think Samuel's a bad person" she answered and he smiled.
"Well everyone's entitled to their opinion until they finally open their eyes to the truth" "And what's that truth"
"Newspaper readers-perception on campaigns for the eradication of corruption nigeria. Let's get on to it then" he chipped in and she sighed.
"I know I should be on my sister's side but where's the proof"
"Let's use another Paper then"
"We can stick with the institution, I'm fine by it"
"Okay" he smiled and he began typing based on his idea.
"What are you doing?"
"Helping you out" "It's my assignment"
"It won't be a first time helping people out with assignments. It's one of my many jobs"

****

Ivie did a little light observation between 2016 and 2015 report so she did a report sheet on what she expects in the year 2019 and beyond. A call came in from Ralph, and she picked up.
"Hey I'm busy, you might want to make it fast. Do you have any information that I might need?"
"I just got out of the bank from blocking my credit card and no information though. I'm just having this awkward feeling"
"How awkward? You finally saw a man you like?" She asked and he laughed sarcastically.
"Very funny Ivie" he answered and she laughed.
"What is it?"
"Okay... After you left and Adesuwa came in with my shirt, I was in the bathroom"
"She didn't see you naked did she?"
"Not all of it" he answered and Ivie shut her eyes. "I didn't know that I didn't tie the towel well and it wasn't my penis" "Don't say penis, don't ever say penis"
"Okay it wasn't my phallus, it was my back side. But it's the same for everyone right? Male back side, female backside"
"Poor Ade!"
"Poor Ade? I'm the victim here, she saw me naked" he answered and she chuckled.
"Okay why are you telling me?" "Can you help me apologize to her? I feel bad about it"
"That's so convenient. Let me think of it, I'll just say, hello Ade, Ralph said I should apologize to you for seeing his ass; thank you very much but I'll pass" she answered and Ralph hissed.
"Is that a no?"
"It's a big No" she answered.
On her way to Liam's office to give him the sheet, she noticed two men and a woman leave his office.
She entered and he sighed.
"Someone looks stressed" "I could use a massage"
"I would have given you if my hands weren't filled" she waved the books in her hands and he smiled. "You would have?"
"No!" She answered and he chuckled.
"Who were those people?"
"Sponsors. They came to sign a deal with the radio station" "Have you agreed?"
"I've gone through the papers" he answered, "And?" She asked dropping the books then she picked up the documents to read it.
"I'm just going to scan through it" "You can keep it, I went through it last week. I haven't made my decision yet, my heart doesn't want me to work with them; I don't like the deal. Yusuf is a friend and we're really close and he wants me to accept but...."
"For a barrister you seem undecided. I'll help you go through it"
"Thank you. What are you here for?"
"I came here to show you a report sheet on what I've noticed answered what I think should be done" she passed it to him and he opened it laughing.
"You can always say it with your mouth"
"I love being professional"
"I really don't feel like reading anything. I might not read it, just tell me"
"There's no way I'm making the work easy for you. Read it!" "I see you're reading our annual report"
"Yes I am, I just needed to compare somethings"
"What about the date?" He asked and she smiled.
"You haven't really said anything about it, since you proposed a second date, you've been quiet about it" she sighed and he chuckled.
"I was actually asking about the date on the report. The year"
"Oh" Ivie paused shutting her eyes.
"Can you just imagine that i never said that?"
"I can't cause you just did"
"It's 2016 and 2017 report"
"Were you really thinking of the second date?" "What part of can we imagine I never said this didn't you get?" She asked and he smiled.
"Are you free tonight?" He asked, Ivie cleared her throat.
"No. I just started blending with my siblings. We'll be having dinner tonight" "Have you actually planned it is you're just thinking of it"
"I just thought of it"
"Sounds like a good idea, let me know when you're free for a second date"
"Sure. I'll .... I'll leave now" she walked out and he chuckled.