Chapter 48: The Maps

"Why haven't you mentioned these dreams before?" You ask Thomas.

"I guess I just thought that you all had them." He shrugs.

    "No. We don't. This has never happened before." You say frustrated.

"Erm... Sorry?"

    "Save it, it doesn't matter now. We just need to convince these guys." You say waving him off.

    You glance around the room, searching for a particular blond headed boy. You spot Newt, red faced shouting at Winston. He catches your glance and you wave him over.

    "Thomas is right. We need to check the maps." You tell Newt.

"Seriously?" Newt asks, "You think there could actually be a code?"

    You glance at Thomas, who nods encouragingly.

"Yeah. I really do. We should at least check." You add.

    Newt sighs, running a hand through his hair

"Alright. But Tommy, you're a bloody idiot for announcing it like that."

    Thomas nods in agreement.

With the help of Newt, you re-gain the attention of the room. Yet just as you're about to speak, Jeff runs in with soot covering his clothes.

    "Someone set the Runner's shed on fire!" He exclaims.

You dart out the door, thoughts of the maps the only thing in your mind. Without a second thought you run into the burning building as it crashes down around you. You search frantically as heat and smoke overwhelm your senses. You hear someone calling your name from outside, begging you to come out.

    You can't you get let go of those maps. In a matter of a few minutes they have become your only source of hope of escape. Your lungs burn as you start to cough and you scream as a large flaming plank of wood crashes down beside you.

    The next thing you know Newt is grabbing your arm and dragging you out of the burning building. You shout at him to to stop, knowing you have to save the maps. His firm grip remains around your arm. As he pulls you into the open air you double over, coughing the smoke from your lungs. Newt lifts your face so you're forced to look at him.

    "Why on earth you do something so stupid!?" He exclaims.

All around you, boys carry buckets of water running toward the massive blazing fire.

    "The maps..." You say horsely.

"Y/n, I could have lost you." He responds softly, wrapping his arms around you, holding you tightly to him and resting your head on his shoulder. "Compared to your life, those maps are nothing... I can't loose you." Newt whispers, his hand still resting on the back of your hand, gently gripping your hair as if afraid to let you go.

As you walk off to bed after wishing Newt goodnight, Minho grabs your wrist and pulls you off to the side.

    "First off, that was stupid." Minho starts. "Second, no need to worry about the maps, I hid them."

    You eyes widen in shock.

"What!? How? Why?"

    "I don't know. I just got this weird vibe that I should hide them. It just adds to my brilliance that I was right."

    "Minho this is amazing! We have to tell the others!"

Minho looks at you bewildered. "Are you insane? That would just start this whole thing over again. This stays just between you and me."

    You frown. "What about Newt, and Thomas and Theresa? It's going to take forever to look through those maps. I'm gonna need help and I know you won't be helping."

    Minho sighs, "I guess you're right."

"I'm always right."

    "Except when you decide to run into a burning building."

You frown, walking off to bed.

The next morning, you first notice that your clothes still smell like smoke after running into the burning building.

    The second thing you notice is that the sky is completely grey. No blue, no sun, no breeze, no birds. It's as if all of Nature had just been turned off. Nervous chatter buzzes through the Glade as you make your way to the kitchen for breakfast. Oddly, as you sit down with your plate, Chuck slides into the seat next to you. He has been spending so much time with Thomas, he no longer knows who to hang out with now that Thomas runs the Maze.

    "Why do you think the sky is grey?" He asks.

You shrug, shoveling a huge spoonful of oatmeal into your mouth. A Fry Pan specialty.

    "I honestly have no idea Chuck."

"I do. It almost looks like the sky was just a big screen, always has been. And the weather here was probably automated too. It must've been shut off." Chuck explains.

    You drop your spoon into the bowl and stare at the young Slopper with wide eyes. You then look to the sky. His explanation seems strangely feasible. If it is true, then what happened? Why did the creators shut it off after over two tears of consistent sunlight? Did something go wrong? Everything is going to change. Theresa's first words come to mind.

    The rest of the day that's all you can think about while you, Newt, and Theresa worked tirelessly in a hidden room to crack the code of the Maze while Thomas and Minho run. Thomas of course wondered why they kept running instead of helping with the code. The answer was simple. Things are changing. The Maze could too.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 1 Peter 5:6