Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Benji's POV

Joe and I arrived at the boys club at around 4:00 pm.  "The kids usually start streaming in around 4:15-4:30," Joe explained, "we have some time so I'll give you a quick tour."  I followed him around the building as he showed me a large living room, a large recreation and games room, the library, a large kitchen, bathrooms, a few offices; outside was a basketball court and another area with picnic tables for hanging out and a small area where kids could skateboard.  He also introduced me to the man who ran the club, Derek and his small staff; Joe and I were the only volunteers today.

Joe left me in Derek's office to fill out paperwork and so that he could run through how things worked as well as the rules.  I was in there for at least 30 to 40 minutes before we finished, so when I went to find Joe, the place was pretty full of teenage boys.  Some younger ones were getting help with homework in the library, a bunch were playing video games and a lively basketball game was going on outside with Joe as referee.  When I stepped outside he waved and I stood unsure where to go.

Joe came running over after a few minutes.  "Okay everyone," he called out to the kids, "this is my friend Benji, he's going to be coming with me on Thursdays to help out so be nice to him."  I smiled at the kids and a few of them said hello or waved before they got back to their game.

"What do I do?" I asked Joe before he returned to the game.

"Don't worry about it, just try to meet a few kids, but basically hang out until you get a feel for things."

I saw some kids sitting at a picnic table, so I thought I'd wander over there to start.

"Hey, I'm Benji," I greeted the four boys as I sat down.  Three of them were playing a card game, which made me smile, I mean, you never see kids playing cards these days, the fourth, a smaller boy, was hunkered over a notebook and seemed to be writing or drawing something, I couldn't quite tell as he held it in his lap so the table hid it from view.  He had straight black as ink hair, slightly on the long side that hung in his face.  He seemed off in his own world. 

"Call," one of the boys said as he laid down his cards, "straight flush," he added with a smirk.  He looked up as the other two groaned.  "I'm Brett, that's Aiden," he said as a boy with curly blonde hair looked up with a silly grin, "Jonah," a brown haired boy nodded.  I gave each boy a friendly smile.  "And my brother Liam," Brett, who also had dark hair, but not quite as dark as Liam's, nodded in the direction of the smaller boy.

"Liam," he called.  The small boy quickly looked up, his bright blue eyes trained on his brother.  I smiled at him, he was adorable with pale skin and an impish little face.  "Say hello to Benji," Brett said softly and I could tell he held a lot of affection for his younger sibling.  Liam peeked at me through his black locks and I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Hey Liam," I said, "what are you drawing there?"  He quickly held the book to his chest protectively.  "It's okay kiddo," I said softly, "you don't have to show me."

"He draws and writes poetry," Aiden offered, "he's really good!"  I looked at Liam who shrunk into himself as if exposed and then looked at the other boys.  Aiden was back to looking at his cards, as was Brett, but Jonah was watching Liam, his look unreadable.  Liam looked up at Jonah as if sensing his gaze and Jonah broke out into a smile.  I watched, almost transfixed at the exchange as Liam's face turned flush, he smiled back and then looked back down at his notebook, unable to meet his eyes for too long.

I looked back at the card game, feeling like I was intruding on their moment.  "What are you playing for?" 

Brett held up match sticks.  "We're not allowed to play for money, but Derek lets us trade these in for candy," he groaned rolling his eyes as if it were the most uncool and juvenile thing in the world.  "You want us to deal you in?"