Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Benji's POV

"Benj, what are you doing down here, I thought you were meeting me at the library to study?" Jamie huffed as she walked into the cafeteria.

"Sorry, I was hungry so Pierce and I shared a pizza and then I had a craving for an ice cream sundae...sorry  jayjay, I lost track of time."  I gave her my cutest puppy dog eyes as she glared at me, knowing she couldn't stay mad at me for long.

Pierce was checking her out pretty intently, so I knocked his arm and gave him a disapproving look.  Jamie and I had been best friends since grade school.  We looked out for each other and I happened to know Pierce was a no-good, love 'em and leave 'em ladies' man. Plus, Jamie was taken.

"Benj," Jamie started, "mid-terms are coming up, do you really wanna flunk out of your first year of University?"

"Dude, just cram the night before like I do," Pierce piped in, "there's a party at my buddy's frat house tonight, come with!"

 "No!" Jamie interrupted, surprising both of us.

 "You can come too Jamie," he offered.

"No, Pierce," I replied, "Jamie and I already have plans."

 "That's why we have to get a chunk of studying done today Benj, so that we can go."

"I know, I know Jamie, I'm coming.  I'll see you around dude," I called to Pierce as Jamie pulled me towards the door.

"Whipped!" I heard him mutter as I left the room, but I only chuckled.

 "Benj, have you been taking your meds?" Jamie asked when we were out of earshot.

"I ran out on Wednesday, it's no big deal, I called this morning and I can pick up my refill after 2:00 pm."  

"Shit Benj, today's Saturday.  No wonder you've been so distracted, why didn't you call it in on Wednesday, or better yet, when you saw that you were getting low?" she scolded.

"I meant to and I kept forgetting, I'm sorry!  It's no big deal jayjay!"

"Sweetie," Jamie began in that overly patient, painfully indulgent, mother-tone she gets with me sometimes, "I can't take you to the club tonight if you're off your meds, you'll get all hyper and piss off some Dom."

"No!  Master Phillip is going to introduce me to someone tonight, someone he thinks could be my own Dom.  I have to go, don't worry, I'll have a pill as soon as I pick up my prescription, I'll be fine! Promise!"

Jamie let out a big sigh, as if the whole world was on her shoulders.  I wasn't that much to deal with was I?  "Okay, but no alcohol...and no more sugar or crap today."

Jamie loves me to death, but I know I try her patience.  But even when I was constantly getting in trouble in grade school and struggling through high school, she always stood by my side.  Cleaning me up when I got into fights, and, as an openly gay kid with behaviour issues, that was a lot...to helping me study, I wouldn't have done nearly as well as I did without her.  It wasn't until 9th grade that I was diagnosed with ADHD and it suddenly became clear why everything seemed so difficult for me.  My teachers finally stopped treating me like a bad kid and started realizing that I had to learn in a different way.  I couldn't sit still in a lecture hall for an hour and I needed a tutor to help me focus on my homework and complete my assignments.

My parents were great about it.  They made sure I had everything I needed to be successful.  My mom researched the disorder and began changing my diet and getting me all sorts of special vitamins.  My mom's a very all natural, holistic kind of person, so she wasn't thrilled about me taking the medication my doctor prescribed, but she couldn't deny that it helped.  My grades went up, I got in less trouble and I discovered theatre.