Chapter Seven: The Mission

Smoke is the first to step foot in the emperor's realm, ready to start this timely quest. He glances around at his surroundings as the noon sun shines on the realm. The Thunder God was correct, his powers truly are limited when accessing Outworld.

Sub-Zero follows through the portal with Li Mei and Kung Lao close behind. Their eyes wander across the desert-like landscape as they stand upon a sandy elevated hill. Several small surrounding villages are in the distance, most visible to the naked eye and each one not too far from the next. Plenty of markets are also nearby, almost giving this sandy area a small, scattered city feel. Yet the sandy surroundings and the light commotion almost give the scattered city a suspicious aura. The last to follow through the portal are Kitana and Jade, the tension still noticeable in the atmosphere. They each begin to catch up with Smoke who seemed to walk off a bit too soon. No plan was discussed, and no closure was given between Smoke and the Edenians.

Li Mei seemed to have slightly abandoned her grudge when the Thunder God offered to resurrect her sworn sister, but she still has her strong distrust toward the duo. Kung Lao peers toward Li Mei and notices her slight discomfort as her gaze meets first Jade, and next Kitana. He places a comforting hand on her shoulder, causing her to turn to meet his eyes. He smiles down at her.

"Do not worry, this mission ensures everyone's lives will improve...even theirs," he references Jade and Kitana.

She stares at him for a moment, taking in these words.

"I know...however it is not me I am concerned about," Li Mei shifts her eyes towards Smoke who continues to advance, not caring about a plan or to make conversation, only to get the mission done as quickly as possible.

Sub-Zero, Li Mei and Kung Lao all watch as he proceeds towards the end of the sandy hill, anger just seeping from him with every step he takes. Given his sudden mood, they slowly tread behind him, not wanting to disturb him any further. Kitana and Jade also follow close behind without a word.

Li Mei turns to Sub-Zero who proceeds to her right. She leans in slightly.

"...Where are we headed?" she questions in almost a whisper.

"I wish I could answer that...yet it seems Smoke just needs time to settle down until we find out exactly where we are located I suppose," he replies in a low voice.

Li Mei's gaze meets the desert terrain as they continue. Jade overhears their small talk, and picks up the pace to keep up with them. Kitana notices this, and steals a glance at her.

"Is something troubling you Jade?" Kitana asks lowly, making sure no one else heard.

Jade just picks up the pace even more, passing Li Mei, Sub-Zero and Kung Lao. Kitana pauses as she sees Jade is heading towards Smoke. This makes Kitana feel tense.

"What is she doing?" Kitana thinks to herself.

"Smoke," Jade calls to him firmly, making him pause.

All eyes land on her, then Smoke, then back to her.

"Where do you believe you are headed?" she interrogates, causing him to turn around slowly in anger.

The murderous glint in his eye never fails to display when he glances at Jade and or Kitana. However, he seems much calmer. Though, calm in Smoke's case has proven to make him most unpredictable. He sighs in annoyance, but answers regardless.

"As you can see...many villages surround us in the distance. I am headed to the one beyond the large tree there to find out where we currently are," he points as he narrows his eyes, not appreciating one of his nemeses questioning him.