Chapter Fourteen: Ressurections

IN OUTWORLD

The night arrives, causing the bright tangerine moon to display itself over the horizon. The warriors now begin to descend the mountain range on the other side which overlooks the Wastelands. They come to the center mountain base and catch their breath. The temperatures at night on the mountain are quite drastic. Their supplies gifted from the villagers were also running low, and they now mostly rely on the hope of Mileena being alive to keep them moving. Or at least most of them do. Kitana and Jade merely wish to lay eyes on a free Edenia.

"We should rest here until the sun returns," Li Mei suggests as she drops her bag of fruits.

The mountain base is rather flat for a rocky surface and torches surround it, delivering light to them. Though the moon is bright enough on its own, the torches are well placed. The other warriors also drop their supplies near Li Mei's, agreeing without direct words. Smoke however is somewhat hesitant on stopping. He wishes to continue, for now that he realizes that Mileena is among the living, his soul has grown impatient. If he could merely lay eyes on her once more, he can find contentment.

Smoke thinks to himself about where Mileena was headed. He watched Nitara fly away with her toward the Wastelands, which leads to the emperor's fortress. She could be anywhere from here, to there, or in between. However, one lead is better than none. Why carry out the rest of the mission when the offer for success is already fulfilled? He means not to disrespect the Thunder God, but she has been absent from his life for much too long. He must do it, he must see her and remember who he was. Who he is.

Smoke turns to his allies, seeing Kung Lao and Sub-Zero engaging in conversation as Li Mei listens with a smile. Kitana and Jade also have their own moment, conversating to each other. This is his chance, though he wishes not for them to follow.

"I am restless. I shall go scout ahead and see which route shall lead us to the Sea of Blood more quickly than the others," he announces his actions.

They each give a nod or some form of acknowledgment to display that they are aware of their comrade's soon to be actions.

"Be stealthful as the night," Sub-Zero states.

"And deadly as the dawn," Smoke finishes their motto, before heading off.

The others pay light mind to Smoke's actions, for he is a formidable warrior. He could handle himself, by himself, even in the depths of the Nether Realm. Smoke wastes no time in descending the mountain, using the fib of his actions to his advantage. He shall discover her whereabouts, even if it were to take him decades.

Soon, he vanishes into vapor out of their sight and somewhat out of mind. Jade and Kitana sit on the rocky surface and stare off into space. Jade's eyes land on the ground in front of them as she sighs. The entire journey they have endured drives her to question Edenia's worth.

"Edenia seems so close, yet so distant," she states.

Kitana shifts her gaze to meet her.

"You are right, it does. All of our lives we lived apart of it, though never experienced it in its whole...how odd it will be to witness its unmerger..." Kitana trails off.

Jade nods, agreeing with each word that falls lightly from her closest ally's mouth.

"You must feel utmost relief, I realize how close you are to her," Kung Lao places an arm around Li Mei.

She complies, lying her head against his shoulder and letting her body feel at rest. She cuddles against him as he holds her in his strong yet gentle grip.

"Yes...it is as if the weight of the realms has been lifted off of my shoulders..." she confides in her husband as she relaxes within his grasp.

"I understand. We will find her and return her to Earth Realm. Whether she remembers you or not, there must be a way," Kung Lao states as he stares into the sky at the luminous moon.