Chapter Thirteen: The Objective

~Mileena POV~

Nitara lands in the Wastelands directly below the mountain, bringing us all to the ground on our feet casually. The memories of the gray ninja continue to swarm into my mind, along with Kitana's thoughts. I laid eyes on her, she was within my grasp, yet I was unable to do what I originally wanted all because of a past linking foolish mortal who could somehow manipulate vapor. Were it not for my curiosity I would make him my second nemesis. Who is such a warrior to me and why did he try to keep me at bay from retreating with Nitara and dearest Tanya?

He also mentioned he wanted to quell Kitana's existence himself. Yet, he was traveling with her. Was he one of the emperor's warriors infiltrating their ranks? Would that explain why he was so surprised to see myself alive once more? The very thought along with the memories of being in his presence both calmly and in rage...confuses me. Foe or ally? I shall most likely never know. Yet, despite my memories his ability strikes familiarity.

I bring another caressing hand to my throbbing head. Damn that fallen Elder God for cursing me with such abilities I once cherished. All I wish is to catch Kitana on the mountain once more and end her life. However, her guard dog Jade would never allow such were I to go alone. Blast!

Tanya approaches with worried eyes.

"What has been happening to you Mileena?" she questions.

I have been wanting to avoid confrontation on my undead health, for it is not something I am in control of. I also never wanted my dearest Tanya to feel concern, for without both of our efforts the plan fails. Should she get wind of my memories having the potential to quell my existence she would march to Shinnok himself and demand that he fix the issue under threat of death.

"It is of no concern, just strange...flashes..." I try my best to end the subject without lying.

"Are you sure you are not injured?" Nitara inputs. "The way you went down, I saw it."

Tanya and I face her.

"Yes." I reply simply.

There is a pause and I receive a signature glare from Tanya, one that informs me that she sees through me. I never did inform her just how my resurrection affects me, as I see it for the best. My life stopped being of importance when I allowed it to be taken by the likes of Kitana and Jade. How foolish I must have been. I would hate to place such worry onto Tanya, especially with our vital plan in the works.

"With Kahn's forces after us we have no other choice but to cross the Wastelands quickly," I pause as a clear thought from Kitana slips into my mind.

One thought is all I needed. Perfect. I grin to myself knowing they plan to pick up the pace.

"I am going back to exact my revenge on Kitana, I refuse to let her escape my grasp," I declare.

"I agree, Jade and Kitana shall only prove to stand in our way once Edenia is captured. All threats must be eliminated before any plan can succeed," Tanya states.

I take this into consideration as I brain storm.

"On the contrary, let us remain here. She and her group of traitors plan to cross the Wastelands. We shall ambush them just before they exit the mountains and enter the vicinity," I plot.

"Genius, though how long would that take?" Nitara brings up a valid point.

"I am uncertain of that, though I am sure with the recent attack they would waste no time in picking up the pace," I reply.

A flame of no temperature ignites at my feet at random, glowing deep orange and red tints. Tanya raises an eyebrow as both she and Nitara witness the strange event. I also peer at it in curiosity. What in the realms?