Chapter Sixteen: Trust

Quan Chi stands in the middle of an Earthrealm graveyard accompanied by the specter Noob Saibot. Quan Chi hovers over a docile Shang Tsung, who lies on the ground with no strength to defend himself, as he chants. His hands illuminate in a bright emerald as he moves them in a circular motion slowly. The emerald energy also engulfs Shang Tsung, causing his whole body to glow as he grows weaker and weaker. As if out of the blue, Scorpion appears from behind him in confusion. Flames lick at his shoulders as he realizes Quan Chi has summoned him from exacting revenge on the false Sub-Zero. Scorpion groans in rage as he approaches the sorcerer from behind. He glances at Noob in disgust as he advances, turning his attention back to the sorcerer.

"You dare summon me during the heat of battle?!" Scorpion confronts.

"This is much more vital, Scorpion. After I complete the soulnado Shinnok shall be ready to engage in the spell to set him free, therefore you are needed here—"

"I could care less about that pathetic fallen Elder God! Sub-Zero murdered my—"

"We have all heard the tale plenty of times. In fact, you would be unaware of his actions had I not granted you most of your memories upon resurrection. Do not forget who you are indebted to, Scorpion."

Scorpion groans at his words.

"Now, guard the soulnado alongside Noob. There is no way to be certain if the Thunder God has caught wind of our actions."

Not wanting to hear anymore, Scorpion storms off toward the perimeter of the graveyard. Noob watches him with irritated eyes. Has his brother truly taken up his mortal name to avenge him?

"Kuai Liang..." he thinks to himself.

IN KAHN'S FORTRESS

The emperor gazes at his held out hand which holds an orb that shines in the deepest shade of emerald. He has forged it with his own sorcery mere hours ago. Before his throne stands Ermac, ready to receive orders from his emperor who beckoned him. The emperor had dismissed his other warriors. Shao Kahn analyzes the orb as he parts his lips to speak.

"This orb shall bind Outworld to Earthrealm to begin the merger. Take it to the tombs below the fortress and store it amongst the others," he commands.

"Yes emperor."

Ermac takes the orb into his hands and bows before the emperor. From outside of the throne room Tanya discreetly eavesdrops, using her invisibility to conceal herself. She recalls the ancient book having information about a realm's orb. Perhaps this is the key to unmerging Edenia. Tanya never was able to finish the ancient text, for many of the pages were missing or they were not in chronological order. No matter, for if this is what she believes it to be, then all her questions shall be answered without the need of the book.

Tanya peers around the corner of the room to lay eyes on Ermac who now heads her way. She freezes in anticipation that he may notice her. She spots the emperor gazing out of his vast window with his arms crossed as Ermac advances toward her. She does not move as Ermac almost brushes into her on his way out of the throne room. He fails to notice her presence as he heads into the corridor, continuing to make his way to the tombs down below. Tanya knows of the tombs, but only the emperor's most trusted warriors have found themselves down there, especially for running an errand down there.

Tanya allows Ermac to walk ahead and turn the corner of the corridor just before beginning to trail him. She maintains her invisible state as she does so, for other warriors may occasionally pass by and the fortress is swarming with the emperor's army now that the invasion is ready to commence. She continues with caution, following Ermac from a safe distance. He proceeds down the flight of stairs, levitating as he smoothly descends the staircase. Tanya does not fail to keep up as he heads down to the first floor and into its corridor.