Chapter Twenty-two: Sisterhood

IN KAHN'S FORTRESS

Kung Lao, Sub-Zero and Li Mei have reached the lockup below the fortress. As a struggling Li Mei is chained to a long and wide tormenting table by two soldiers, her two accomplices regain their consciousness. They find themselves behind bars that are sturdy and locked. Their cells are across from each other. Many others are locked up here, for the number of cells stretches down a wide hall and lead into different corridors. Overall, the lockup is its own large basement floor of the fortress, with the exception of the torture room within it. Most of the prisoners have not seen daylight in centuries. Only harsh light that derives from many torches illuminates the brown, dusty, crimson stained rusty cells. Sub-Zero rubs his head and comes to his feet as Kung Lao instantly dashes to the bars of his cell, staring at his distant consort with worry. The cell is too far for him to rescue her, let alone escape his own captivity.

Li Mei shouts as the two guards bind her hands tightly onto each side of the wide table with rough chains. Three other guards stand at the door of the torture room, keeping an eye on Sub-Zero and Kung Lao along with the other hundreds of prisoners that mostly remain quiet. Li Mei's feet are already chained, leaving her struggling to maintain her free arms. In her attempt to swing, one of the soldiers manages to chain her left arm down, leaving her hopeless. This causes Kung Lao to grow enraged once more.

"Leave her be!" he strikes the bars of his cell with his palm, causing the sound to echo.

One of the three soldiers standing guard outside of the torture room finds amusement at Kung Lao's actions, giggling as he begins to approach Kung Lao's cell. He comes eye to eye with him, yet maintains a safe distance.

"You have nothing to be concerned of mortal. We wish to paralyze her, not end her life," the guard chuckles.

Kung Lao strikes the bars of the cell once more in anger, grabbing the attention of the neighboring prisoners. Some admire his courage, some ignore what they see as a futile resistance and others gaze upon him in worry, fearing he may be put to death.

"No!" he shouts.

"If you dare bring harm to her," Sub-Zero warns, causing the guard to turn to him with an amused grin, "then I shall engulf you the sting of winter."

The guard peers at Sub-Zero in a sarcastic manner just before turning his attention to the other guards who have successfully restrained the struggling Li Mei.

"Do not waste a moment! I wish for these two imbeciles to hear her screams!" he shouts.

Kung Lao attempts escape, pulling on the bars of his cell angrily. The other prisoners gaze on in fear at the situation at hand. Sub-Zero attempts freezing the bars, but finds himself unable to do so. They must be exempt of sorcery. A loud scream then fills the lockup and causes Kung Lao to peer upward at Li Mei. One of the two guards hovering over her harshly inserted a sharp dagger into her upper arm near her shoulder. The blood seeps from her form as she continues to shout in pain. The other guard next to her grabs a lock of her hair and pulls her head upward to face him.

"Well aren't those screams quite lovely," he states sarcastically.

Li Mei wastes no time in crashing her head into his, head butting him. He grunts loudly and takes a couple of steps back as he recovers from the blow.

"Get off of me!" she yells in reply.

The other guard grabs the knife that impales her shoulder harshly. It causes her body to slightly jerk at the pain. He instantly begins twisting the blade by its handle. It's a burning, piercing sensation that leaves her feeling hopeless as she s.

"Impudent bitch," he remarks as she begins shouting in pain again.

Kung Lao becomes immensely full of rage.