Chapter Twenty: Conflicting

IN KAHN'S FORTRESS

Shao Kahn sits upon his throne, analyzing Li Mei, Sub-Zero and Kung Lao, whose hands are bind in the front by rough rope. He rubs his chin as his harsh gaze exchanges between the three. Reiko stands at the side of his throne with his arms crossed, awaiting orders from the emperor.

"Such a peculiar trio you are. A Cryomancer, a Shaolin and a native to Outworld believed they could infiltrate my fortress," the emperor says as he turns his attention to Sub-Zero. "Now, I believe you to be one of the fragile Lin Kuei that has breached my realm," he accuses.

"Lin Kuei I am no longer," Sub-Zero replies harshly.

"You shall be considered as one, nonetheless!" Shao Kahn shouts as he looks to Li Mei. "And you, the alleged defender of the people of Outworld," he mocks her, "have caused me enough trouble also!"

"I defend the people because you have failed to do such throughout the duration of your reign!" Li Mei retaliates.

The emperor chuckles at her boldness as his eyes explore her figure. His eyes come to a stop at her hands, seeing a small round object on her ring finger. A ring with half of the ying yang symbol as the charm catches his gaze. The emperor then spots the opposite ring amongst Kung Lao's finger as well, which causes him to chuckle once more.

"The infamous ying yang warriors, who would have known one of which was the alleged defender of the people of Outworld," his voice rings of amusement. "Take these futile warriors to the lockup, and place her in the torture room first," he smirks.

"No!" Kung Lao attempts to run for the emperor, only to be pulled back by his troops.

The emperor bursts into devious laughter at the sight of his resistance.

"It shall cause you much more pain than it shall cause her! Lock them near the torture chambers and allow the door to remain ajar! Make certain her consort hears her pleads for mercy!" the emperor shouts, earning the cheers of his warriors.

The troops grab Sub-Zero and Li Mei who shout in protest and attempt to escape their ropes. The handle of an axe strikes Sub-Zero's head, knocking him unconscious and they repeat this action with Kung Lao. Li Mei fights them off, refusing to be contained. She shouts as they are all dragged out of the emperor's throne room by a large number of soldiers. Several of the emperor's warriors then disperse as Shao Kahn takes to his feet. Reiko watches the emperor as he approaches the large glass window that stands behind his throne chair. The emperor's eyes peer across the Outworld horizon as he sees the planetary realm of Earth approaching his realm. A fraction of the celestial body collides with Outworld, beginning the merger of two worlds.

"The merger is now entering its final stage," Shao Kahn announces.

Reiko approaches his emperor.

"Mileena shall lead my forces to the inevitable battle. You along with my best fighters shall await her return before you enter the realm," he commands.

"What about you, my lord?" Reiko asks.

"By the time I enter Earthrealm, it shall already be mine."

IN THE NETHERREALM

Quan Chi stands before the shimmering throne of Shinnok.

"The merger is nearly complete. At any moment the emperor may be entering Earthrealm," he reports.

"We must worry about that later! As of now must recapture Mileena and the Enenra! I no longer feel the hold I had over them! Thanks to you not arriving when I captured them both you have ruined our plans! The last place in which I felt their presence was in Earthrealm!" Shinnok shouts.