Chapter Nineteen: Puzzling

IN KAHN'S FORTRESS

"As above one, so below another, the orb shall uncover the kamidogu..." Sindel reads from an alternate scroll.

She begins to brainstorm on locations the emperor would keep a realm's orb. Kitana scans the door closely, for a slight commotions breaks out in a distant corridor. She places her hands among her fans as Sindel widens her eyes upon the text she reads.

"The orbs, they are right below us! The emperor once told me of the tombs, but now it all makes perfect sense. We must go now and retrieve the orb so we can quickly return to Earthrealm," the Queen declares.

Kitana nods as Sindel places the scrolls back where they were. Kitana lowers her guard as they make their way out of the sacred library's door with caution. Sindel uses her magics to seal the door behind them and the two hastily make their way through the corridor.

Sub-Zero, Kung Lao and Li Mei proceed through a lower corridor. Without Nitara and Jade, assuming the location of Kitana and Sindel will prove to be challenging. Li Mei has not set foot in this area of the fortress, thus they continue with caution. The trio turns right, entering another corridor. To their shock, it is filled with many of the emperor's soldiers. The trio attempts to turn back, only to find even more of the emperor's troops. They find themselves surrounded. Suddenly Li Mei is dragged backwards by her hair and and a blade pressed against her throat. She lets out a shout, causing Sub-Zero and Kung Lao to turn quickly. The two lock eyes with Reiko who grins as he presses the blade harder against Li Mei.

"Surrender or her death shall be swift," Reiko threatens.

Sub-Zero and Kung Lao turn to each other and their mere glances say it all. They are greatly outnumbered and exhaustion from their previous battles takes over them. Should they perish here, the mission would be for nothing. It is as if they have no other choice, therefore they both unanimously surrender.

"Grab them, the emperor demands their presence," Reiko commands.

Four guards then approach, roughly tying up Kung Lao and Sub-Zero's hands as they give a slight struggle. Reiko kicks Li Mei down to her knees, causing her to groan. He wastes no time in binding her hands with harsh rope just as the guards do her allies. She grunts as he forces her back to her feet harshly.

"We move forward," Reiko commands.

The militia then lead the infiltrators to the emperor's throne room.

Nitara ceases flight with Tanya in her arms. They come to the ground within the emperor's tombs. Nitara's eyes analyze each detail with awe. Tanya grins as she begins to walk, leading Nitara to her recent discovery.

"The answer to all of our problems lies here," Tanya states as they continue through the stone, torch lit corridor.

The echoing of their heels spreads through the tombs as Tanya leads her ally to a large stone-walled room within the tombs. Many memorials linger and most are covered by cobwebs. The overly extended ceiling shields the enormous statue of the emperor, which still stands tall. However, the most important sight is the glassy case of sorcery at the statue's feet which holds various different orbs, all belonging to a certain realm. They are each medium orbs that release a deep aqua glow. Nitara's eyes widen as she analyzes Vaeternus's orb from a distance. She approaches it in awe and takes it into her hands. Nitara smiles as she feels great relief in finally being able to retrieve her realm. With no words she throws it down, attempting to crack the sphere and release her realm from its prison that is Outworld. However, the orb levitates from the ground, refusing to crack against the stone floor. Nitara appears to be confused.

"The secret to the orb and releasing a realm from Outworld is possession of the kamidogu," Tanya explains.

Nitara takes the orb back into her hands as she turn to Tanya who takes Edenia's orb into her grasp.