1

chapter 1

Niklaus drove into Mystic Falls with a deep smirk plastered on his face. Running a hand through his hair Klaus laughed tightly. He was finally going to make a family, people that couldn't and wouldn't ever leave him.

Stopping his car in a parking lot Klaus got up and strolled breezily through the town. His hands laid loosely in his denim pockets and Klaus's grey Henley was stuck to his body from the blazing white summer sun.

He stopped slowly at a building that read 'The Grill' and walked inside. Immediately he was hit with the wafting scent of sizzling burgers and stale beer.

It was filthy.

A man with blonde hair and a rather ordinary face came up to him as Klaus sat himself in the corner, a perfect spot to observe.

Klaus liked to observe people. Watch their tendencies and habits. Their behavior and choices. It helped him learn when to strike. When to attack.

"What would you like? Today's special is the spicy Rueben burger." The man spoke in a deep voice, his name tag read 'Matt'

Suits him. Thought Klaus dully, making a note of the man and placing it in a box in the center f his head.

"I'll take a glass of bourbon." Klaus's voice was deep and almost wolf-like. It was British and tangy.

Nodding the blonde man jotted down his order and walked over to the bar.

Klaus watched as a group of teens scrambled in through the door. Among them was Elena Gilbert, the woman who's blood could make hybrids.

With her were the Salvatore brothers, the Bennett witch, and the werewolf.

But there was also a beautiful woman with golden curls and shining aqua eyes. Her legs seemed to go for days in the sunflower minidress.

He needed to know her. Something about her drew Klaus to the women.

And so standing up he made his way over to them. Or more specifically to her.

"Hello, there love," Klaus spoke with each word carefully picked out, like he had weighed the words on his tongue to match the situation.

The werewolf, who Klaus had already identified as Tyler Lockwood, stepped foreword, his chest puffing out, and said, "She's taken."

The blonde woman pushed Tyler back gently and held out her hand, "I'm Caroline."

Klaus took it and flipped it over to the non-palm, kissing it gracefully. "I'm Klaus."

Caroline's cheeks dusted a blush as she was huddled over to a booth by Bonnie.

He would learn more about her.

He had to.