Chapter 32

Camille

I wasn't sure where to go, but I knew I needed answers. So here I was parked in front of Mr. Louie's apartment building. I needed the answers straight from the horses mouth, I wanted to know why. I knew the guards would be behind me at all times, so I wasn't scared as I knocked on his battered old door.

"Camille, what a surprise." His greeting was bland as usual. "You remembered my name this time." I reply nonchalantly as I walk in.

"He told you didn't he?" He lights a cigarette and faces the wall. "You are the reason my parents are dead."

He continues smoking his cigarette. "That isn't entirely my fault."

"All the years I've worked for you, you've done nothing but treat me like trash. Have you always known I was your biological daughter? How did my mother even get tangled up with a man like you?"

He scoffs, "I found out a couple days after you were born. Your mom wanted you to have nothing to do with me. We met at a business conference, she was with your father. I just happened to run into her a couple times after that, and then came you." He smirks looking up at the wall. "After you came she wanted nothing to do with me, and raised you with her husband. She never told me if he knew you weren't his, but that's not my business."

Tears welt up in my eyes, my whole world felt like it was turning upside down.

He continues on, "When you came in looking for a job I knew exactly who you were. You look just like your mother. I guess I was just curious to see the woman you grew up to be." He looks me over, "Not much."

I glare at him, "I have no regard for your opinions toward me. Look at how you turned out, alone and in debt. Wanted by many and working off your dues." He shrugs, "That's life."

I stand up ready to leave, I've heard enough. "It's so sweet how far your boyfriend is willing to go to keep you safe."

I pause, "What're you talking about?"

"Paying off my debts, just to protect you. Psh couldn't be me." I stare at him in shock. "How many of your debts?"

He chuckles,"As many as he can. I figured he would've just killed me, but regardless the debts will still be on you. And there are a lot of people still waiting on the money I owe."

"Then why are people coming after me for your debts if you're still alive?"

"That's something you'd have to ask them." He takes another puff from his cigarette, "I guess they think hurting you will motivate me to pay them back. But in reality it motivates Josiah. He'll run himself dry trying to protect you."

I glare at Richard, "I hate you." And with that I'm out of the disgusting apartment, slamming the battered old door behind me.

I head back to my car, upset and flattered that he'd risk so much for my safety. But I can't let him run himself dry trying to protect me. I've got to figure something out.

————————————————————————-
Short chapter, kinda stuck again 🤣

-AuggiePooh