Chapter 35

Josiah

"Anything new?" I ask Charlie as I enter my office. He places a Manila envelope on my desk as I take a seat.

"I think I figured something out."

I nod at him waiting to hear his plan, "Here is a list of all the people Louis owes money to."

I toss the envelope back on the desk,"Charlie I know this already." He pushes it back toward me, "If you would let me finish. The other side is a detailed list of the loved ones of the people Louie owes money to." I look up at him, "An eye for an eye huh?"

He nods, "You are Josiah Wells, it seems that you have forgotten. If they threaten her life, you threaten someone they love as well."

"I've considered this, it could insight war with people I have no business with."

Charlie stands up, "You have business with them now. As much as I don't want to say it, you're getting soft."

My brows furrow, "Just because I'm trying to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, doesn't mean I'm soft."

He chuckles as he heads out of my office, "Unnecessary bloodshed is what you've known your whole life."

I sigh, knowing that he's right. The whole situation is complicated. Lately I've been trying to cut back my usual ways for Camille. I don't want her to see me in that way. She looks at me as if I'm a regular person, like she knows nothing about what I do. But she does know, and yet she still loves me. I don't want to remind her of the horrible things I do.

Now it has come down to the question, am I willing to go to war for her?

————

Camille

I hate waking up alone.

I knew Josiah was gonna have work in the morning but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks. I hop out of bed and get ready for the day by taking a shower and brushing my teeth. I dress in something simple since I'm only going out to meet the girls for coffee.

When the driver pulls up to the Starbucks down the road, I see the Mitchie and Rosa waiting for me at a table.
"Hey ladies." I greet as I take a seat with them.

Rosa scoots over to make room for me, "Well look at you all happy and stuff, what's new?"

I shrug, "Same old, same old. Mr. Louie is my biological father and is the reason for my parents death."

Mitchie chokes on her drink and Rosas eyes widen, "Excuse me?"

I nod, it really has been a crazy few days.

"Why are you so calm? This is huge."

"I found out the other day, so I guess I've had time to adjust a little."

They both nod, and we continue catching up and updating each other on our lives. I missed living with the girls back in our apartment. Living with Josiah is great and all but he's not home a majority of the time and I'm always being watched over like a child. I understand it's for safety reasons but can I really live this forever?

When I go to work I have security, at home, even right now they're waiting for me outside the coffee shop. I guess that's the price for being with such a man.

"Camille? Cam?" Rosa waves her hands in front of my face snapping me back to reality. "You good?"

I nod, "Sorry, I guess I kinda got lost in my thoughts."

Mitchie chuckled, "We noticed. What's got your mind wandering now?"

"As long as I'm with Josiah, things will never be normal huh? I will always be followed by either security or an enemy? It just makes me wonder if this is what I really want."

"You love him right?", Rosa asks.

I smile, "With my whole heart."

"Only you can decide on if this is what you want. Talk to him about how you feel, maybe some changes can be made?"

I sigh, "Maybe."

We continued talking until it reached noon and decided to head to the mall. We tried on outfits and grabbed lunch before going our separate ways once again. It felt good to hang out with them again and gave myself a reminder to do this more often.

By the time I got home Josiah was still not back. I frowned entering the empty living room. It was nearing 5 o'clock so he should be back soon. I sent him a quick text to check on him but didn't receive a response back. That wasn't unusual so I shrugged it off and started thinking about dinner plans.

I looked around the kitchen to see what I could whip together. I didn't cook often since Josiah loved to, but I still was capable of scrapping something together.

I found some salmon, potatoes, and greens. With that I decided to make baked salmon with roasted potatoes and greens as sides.

After about an hour and a half, everything was done. It was well into 6 o'clock and still no sign of Josiah. I decided to freshen up and planned to call if he was still not here by then. I got into the shower for the second time today and let the warm water bask onto my body and release any tension.

I decided I might as well wash my hair as I waited for Josiah and began washing, conditioning, and detangling my curly locks.

Another hour had passed and no word from Josiah.

I decided to call his phone, I felt that something was wrong.

It rang for a long time before going to voicemail.

I tried again and same thing. Now I was really worried.

I had Charlie's number and decided to contact him.

No answer.

I was very unsure about what to do at this point. I could ask the guards outside? But they're always with me, what could they know?

I opened the front door and decided to ask anyway. "Hey guys, any word from Josiah? He's not answering his phone."

They both shrug, "He's a busy man, sometimes he just comes home late. Don't wait up."

I frown before muttering thanks and shutting the door. What'd I say? They know nothing, same as me.

I paced back and forth around the house completely forgetting about dinner. "Maybe they're right?" I mutter to myself. "He's just caught up at work! He'll be home soon."

I decide to watch some tv to keep my mind off things. Thankfully I don't start my new job until next week and still have time to slack off.

I grab a blanket and turn on Gossip Girl reruns. I accidentally fell asleep on the couch. Usually when this happens Josiah comes in the middle of the night and leads me to the bedroom.

I ended up never leaving the couch this time.

——————————————————————————-

Gasp! Where's Josiah??

Lmao I suck at updating and I'm really sorry. I hope I can make a good enough ending for this book.
- AuggiePooh_