Chapter 37

Three Years Later

   Ember watched the stream of dragons come in, some would be dead the following day, that was certain. The cavern was large, dwarfing the adult dragons that sat at one end whilst four fire dragons entered first, their features hidden by half a dozen green and blue dragons from Humanyos. Fire flickered across their scales as they made their way across the stone, fire that was continuously burning because of her. The six dragons parted in front of the stone platform that Ember was sat next to, she was slightly elevated, but not as much as the blue scaled creature next to her.

   The green dragon on Ember's left side had more freedom than she did, as did the pair of male dragons in the other side of the most powerful dragon that Ember knew. A gentle flow of calm ebbed from the green dragon as she tried to help Ember climb back out of the hole she had climbed out of two and a half years ago, but occasionally fell back into.

   Her amber eyes watched the four dragons, ready to act if the interaction turned into a fight. She was still in her prime and would be for many more years before eventually slowing down to the same pace that most ancient dragons reached, if she lived that long.

   Her eyes scanned the dragons snout to tail tip, the eldest was about ten years older than she was and had a long scar running down one length of his body, the other three all looked to be the same age as each other, also Ember, and the three young dragons and Ember al, had gold on some of their scales. One was light red to dark red, the next was a bright red, the third was more orange than red, but still a fire dragon. They all glanced at the dragons in front of them, but their gaze rested upon Ember before moving away, but the body language shifted slightly, they were angry with her, and she knew why.

   Ember had killed her youngest sibling, and watched whilst he died at her feet before walking away. Right in front of everyone. They didn't know that she was being controlled, so she didn't completely blame them. But did they really think that she did it intentionally, or that she wanted to do nothing? All she had wanted during her eight years away was that her family remained safe. 

   Not having met these dragons for a while, one for three years, two for about twelve years, the longest one since she had hatched, she watched them, taking in their general health. Three were her family by blood, the fourth had started her training, but that was it. Her eyes watched them wearily, unsure of why they were here.

   "Speak, there's more I have to see after you." The dragon to Ember's right said, their voice loud and clear, the dragon looked like Amluse, sounded like him too, but Ember had a suspicion - made during the three years she had spent in their company - that the dragon was in fact the queen of Humanyos that she had tried to kill when she was very young. It made the amount of powers that they had make sense, but why she would keep Ember around, she didn't know.

   "The packs are wondering if you would do anything about the Wandering Pack, they are eating-" Scar said, the once general must be important to be speaking for a number of packs.

   "I've heard enough, what area are you from?"

   "The Old Fire Territory." The Scar said, keeping his body language submissive - only just.

   "Pack?"

   "West Fire Borderlands." The general answered, waiting to see where this was coming.

   "I'm correct in assuming that you are the alpha there?"

   "Correct." So he was still important.