Chapter 22

"And if I do?" Scar said, staring at the rainbow dragon. Ember watched her first fighting trainer and the rainbow dragon stare at each other. Scar, she didn't know if he was still a general or not, was stiff, whilst the rainbow dragon was more relaxed.

   "I will take that as a no. You lot really have no idea when it comes to your own kind, don't you?"

   "What is your point?"

   "To see just how stupid, you lot really are. She's a rare case, in multiple ways. It isn't often that the earth will eat a dragon trying to get to the island, and the rest is for you to figure out. The war may have made your kind strong with your fire, but you have lost a lot of information on the way."

   "How do you know?"

   "We tell stories of the old times when the species worked together in peace, those were the good times, you weren't constantly biting at each other's throats, sending species to extinction, and you knew more about yourselves." The dragon paused. "Are you going to help it?"

   "Why aren't you?"

   "I have no reason, and we will probably be better off if it dies." The dragon said. Ember struggled; her wings were getting tired quicker than usual, most likely due to that she could not breathe properly. Ember closed her eyes as she whimpered as her fire burned her, she tried to push it back, but the fire only grew hotter and fiercer.

   "Ember, you okay?" Midnight asked, his voice was quiet.

   "It burns." She whimpered as her fire surged through her again.

   "What does?" He asked.

   "Kill her, it will save her from a lot of pain." The rainbow dragon said.

   "What!" Scar and Midnight said.

   "It obviously isn't water that's hurting her. You fire dragons should know what is happening. This isn't the first in the history of this world, and she won't be the last."

   "Every fire dragon that the kingdom looks after, including Ember, which is not an 'it', is not harmed by fire! It is probably the ground and she can't breathe properly. There is nothing else that can hurt her." Scar growled.

   "You are right. But kind of wrong." The dragon said.

   "Excuse me mister, but can you inform everyone here of what is happening to the fire dragon?" A voice came from the side.

   "There are two ways to solve her problem at this moment. Kill her quickly or get her out of the ground. But be aware, she cannot go onto the island, the planet will not allow her to." The rainbow dragon said. Her fire rolled around her again, she let out a small whimper as she felt something hot come out of her left eye. "See, I do not think that that is normal. You need to make your decision quickly; I will not have any part of it." A flame danced along her spine, twisting around the spikes on her back as she flapped harder.

   "Help! We need to know what she has to say." Midnight growled at Scar and, presumably, King Red.

   "Do you know who you are talking to?" Scar said.

   "Yes. Are you going to help?" Midnight said again. Someone came over, probably Scar, and started digging as she kept flapping and trying to move her paws.

-----

   Ember felt the ground around her lighten and a pair of jaws go around the back of her neck and start pulling her out. Her mind kept trying to fight her fire, but the fire beat her mind back, but it was all that she could do to slow whatever was happening to her. She felt herself come out of the ground onto ground that didn't start to swallow her. She curled up as the fire rose in a way that meant that she was covered by her wing and tail.