Chapter 3

The sprawling forests, glistening rivers, and bright blue sky were his home, no matter what Midnight told himself as he folded his wings upon the highest ledge on the mountain. Shining from the cloudless sky, the sunlight twinkled against the backs and wings of many different species as they passed in and out of the caves below.

Walking into the cave, the black scaled dragon walked past numerous dragons, some with swirling dark blues and purples, some with yellow, and others either sharing the same scales as himself or the bright colours of the sun dragons.

Each quickly bowed their heads as he walked by.

After a few moments of walking, the black scaled dragon entered a large cavern, sunlight beaming in through small holes with carefully maintained roots and plants. A dragon that appeared to be almost identical to himself sat slightly higher above the small group of three dragons below.

Shuffling his red, blue, and green wings, Midnight continued to walk towards his brother, identical except from the silvery eyes that Prism bore. Bowing his head to his brother, Midnight kept his green eyes upon the other elemental dragon.

"Excuse us for a while," the king said as Midnight straightened up and passed the now retreating dragons. "I apologise for summoning you here so urgently, but I needed to pick your brains."

"I also wanted to talk to you, regarding some matters upon Ballasmara," Midnight said as his green eyes flickered over to some dragons standing in the shadows.

Following his look, Prism nodded and turned away, entering one of the caves. The younger brother accompanied the king as he recognised the cave; with one entrance, they would not be overheard without them noticing.

Deep inside the mountain, Prism turned and wrapped Midnight with his wings, who in turn rested his head on his brother's neck. They stayed there for a few moments, embracing each other as the noise became rare and parting and Prism broke the ear-splitting silence.

"Are the Ballasmara dragons giving you enough trouble; I wouldn't want you to be too bored," Prism said. "These Humanyos dragons are making me insane," he shook his head before turning towards Midnight and watching him.

A grin worked its way upon Midnight as he glanced towards the tunnel before speaking. "The war is still going, bringing all sorts of trouble upon those who want no part in it. The gold speckled fire dragons are doing well, one of whom has made a lasting impression upon both the rainbow dragons and the high-ranking dragons-"

Yet the king interrupted Midnight, despite the tilted head and the usual patience to listen to whatever the younger brother had to say. "Which one? There was quite a few last time you told me. Anything about their parents?"

Midnight paused, casting his mind back to the long-winded message that the rainbow dragon had produced. "Ember, she hatched fourth, and apart from her power - which was described as terrifying - she has no other major qualities that the leaders would be interested in.

"Their mother is dead, and as far as we can tell, she grew up with the fire dragons and was powerful - but not very powerful," Midnight paused as his claws shuffled against the stone. "Their father is still very unknown, just emerged and met their mother before disappearing, that is everything that we have gleaned about them."

Silence filled the cave and the two brothers.

Prism's silver eyes narrowed before nodding and looking back at Midnight. "The Humanyos Queen chose a mate, we do not know anything about him yet," Prism paused as Midnight froze, this couldn't be good.

"He is just a ghost," Prism said before continuing. "He pops up, so all we know is that he is blue and then he disappears for an endless amount of time on end.