Chapter 10

It took a week for the doctor to finally let me go. It was a pretty uneventful week as I slept in a drug induced and nightmare less sleep for most of the time. But Peeta was always there to keep me company in waking. We talked in our spare time and even laughed a bit. I was pleasantly surprised by how much better he has gotten since the rebellion. I became so curious about this that my drugged brain decided that I should ask him about it.

"What treatment did they give you after the rebellion?" I ask after waking for the third time on the second day in hospital.
"They tested a new method of re-hijacking. It was pretty painful," he says with a shudder, "but it was worth it. I feel heaps better. They also tried some different medications to stop my - umm- episodes- but none of them worked."
"Oh," I murmur and drift off back to sleep.

At the end of the week my doctor, a kind woman named Elaine, takes the needle out of my arm and helps me into some more comfortable clothes to go home in. Peeta and I sign a few papers and leave.

I feel a sense of relief as we step outside and get a breath of fresh air. I'm glad to be out of the hospital.

We walked to the car park where Haymitch is waiting. As I have barely moved let alone walked in a week this small distance makes me feel dizzy. I clutch Peeta's arm for dear life as the world spins around me.

"It's okay. I've got you," he says as he wraps an arm around my shoulders, supporting me and holding me upright. We walk slowly for the rest of the way. Peeta opens the car door and eases me into the backseat. The feeling of relief I felt before vanishes as the stench of alcohol makes me gag. Empty beer bottles and shattered glass litter the floor. I open the window to air out the car.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?"
"Better."

Peeta sits next to me and I rest my head on his shoulder, falling asleep almost instantly as we ride back home.

I wake a few hours later in my bed. I glance out the window to see that it is early evening. Peeta must have left me here as the window has been left wide open. I yawn and walk downstairs to find Peeta sitting on the windowsill in the living room, watching the sun disappear on the horizon. He looks up as I enter the room.

"Hello sleepyhead. How are you feeling?"
"A little drugged still, but better."
He smirks and asks, "Would you like me to make you some dinner?"
My stomach rumbles loudly before I can respond and we both laugh.
"I'll take that as a yes," Peeta says as he gets off the windowsill.
"Would you like me to help?"
"Nope," Peeta replies and pushes me onto the couch playfully, "you wait right here and rest."

I smile and stare at the empty fireplace until Peeta calls me half an hour later. I walk into the kitchen and see a delicious looking meal on the table. It's lamb stew with dried plums.

"Thank you Peeta."
"This used to be your favourite Capitol dinner, real or not real?" he asks.
"Real," I reply and serve myself some of the delicious looking meal.

I only eat a small portion before my belly is full.
"Thanks for dinner," I say when I am finished, "it was delicious."
"Glad you liked it," Peeta replies with a warm smile.
We wash our dishes and wrap up the leftovers. When we are finished I feel exhausted.

"I think I'm going to go up to bed," I say. I leave Peeta in the kitchen. I change into some comfortable, blue pajamas and climb into bed. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.