Chapter 21

"How are you feeling?" I say as we walk home hand in hand.
"Great!" He replies. His voice is thick with happiness and sounds quite unlike his own. Something isn't right. I watch him walking beside me. He bounces off the ground effortlessly even though he normally walks with a limp. A broad grin seems to plastered onto his face as it has been there since I first saw him get off the train. He swings his heavy bag high beside him as if it weighs nothing. As I examine him he starts to hum softly and almost skip instead of walking, pulling me down the road at our hands.

"Uhhh, Peeta? Are you alright?"
"Great!" He repeats, his voice, once again, takes on a happy high pitched tone much unlike his own, "is there something wrong?"
"No," I reply, staring at him with a confused expression.

Finally we get home. He skips through the door, pulling me with him and shutting the door behind us. Suddenly, he yanks my arm painfully hard, pulling me into his arms and presses his lips to mine. I hesitantly kiss back, this is not how Peeta usually kisses me. Normally it is soft and passionate but this is forceful almost. He places his hands on my waist and pulls me closer to his body. To my amusement and horror, something hard presses against my thigh uncomfortably.

(((AN: OMFG IM LAUGHING SO HARD 😂😂😂)))

We break apart when the phone rings. I rush away from Peeta at the opportunity and pick up the phone on the second ring.
"Hello?"
"Katniss? This is Dr Aurulius."
"Hi!"
"Have you seen Peeta yet?"
"Yes, and he isn't acting like himself. He's acting strange . . and . . excited," I laugh nervously. Dr Aurulias chuckles softly at the other end.
"Well yes. That would be expected. We gave him an injection to make him a bit happier. He was a bit stressed."
"Is he okay? Why was he stressed?"
"Yes, he's fine. We didn't do anything too bad, I think his negative feelings were triggered more by the environment than what we did. Being in the Capitol wasn't very good for him, it seemed to bring back lots of bad memories. He had lots of nightmares and flashbacks. Also not having you there with him made him a lot worse."

"What did you do to him? Did you find a way to stop his flashbacks?"
"We tried some new medication on Peeta. It helps to temporarily deaden the part of the brain which holds memories and another part which controls emotions. This will stop an attack almost immediately and will give him more time to question a memory before he acts on it. You need to give it to him as soon as he shows signs of having a flashback.

"We also developed another medication that he needs to take twice a day in the morning and before bed. It slows down the memory and emotion parts of the brain so his thoughts are easier to control and sort through.

"There is also one more medication. It is the same as the injection we gave Peeta to make him a it happier on his trip home today. Both you and Peeta can use this one if it is really necessary. It helps improve your mood if you ever have a breakdown. You mustn't rely on it or use it too often though, it has some pretty bad side affects. Take that one with caution, okay? All of the instructions will be in Peeta's bag with the medication."
"Thank you so much for your help. I really hope this helps him get better."
"Me too. Well, I should go, I've got a few patients waiting."
"Okay, thanks again." Just as I move to hang up, Peeta returns and wraps his arms around from behind and chuckles uncharacteristically.

"Wait! Dr Aurulius?"
"Yes?"
"When will Peeta be back to normal?"
Peeta chuckles again behind me.
"Hi Dr Aurulalalalas!" He sings into the phone so loudly I cringe.
"Hi Peeta," he chuckles back, "let him have a nap. When he wakes up he should be back to normal."
"Okay, thank you. Bye."
"BYYYYYYEE!" Peeta calls. I cringe again, rubbing my ears. I hang the phone back onto the hook.
"So what do you want to do, Kat?" He chuckles into my hair from behind. I gently pull him off of me and turn around to face him.
"I think I'm going to have a nap. You want to join me?"
"Sure!" Suddenly he scoops me up and starts to run off to the couch in the living room. Peeta buckles under my weight, which is strange. Normally he caries me with ease. I look at his arms and they seem to visibly be smaller and weaker, his arms trembling under my weight. Being in the place of his worst nightmares seems to have drained all of the strength from him, even if the happiness injection stops him from showing it.

He lays me down on the couch then lies next to me, covering my body in a protective position. I run my fingers through his hair soothingly, hoping that it will help him sleep and get him back to normal. His eyes droop almost immediately as if he was exhausted the whole time. I watch his chest rise and fall softly, his warm breath moving a strand of my hair softly. His hair falls in untidy blonde curls on top of his head. Even in his sleep, he still looks unbelievably happy, as if he doesn't have a single care in the world. His long curly lashes flutter slightly, his nose dotted with a few freckles. I place a kiss on his forehead and cuddle tighter into his chest. In his sleep he tightens his arms around me. They may not be as strong as they were but there all the same.

I drift off after him, relieved to have my Peeta safe, back in my arms.

Sorry for another crappy chapter 😪 idk y but I feel like this story is getting worse! It keeps getting more dramatic and cheesy and has too many cliches and idk what to do. How do you guys think I can improve?

I was laughing so hard while writing this omg 😂😂😂😂 Peeta got a bit over excited 😂
Also I got the idea of some of Peeta's meds from @_everrlark_ s story I Want you to Stay so I feel like I should give credit to her. WHILE IM TALKING ABOUT THIS ACCOUNT CAN I JUST SAY THAT IT IS MY FAVOURITE THG WATTPAD ACCOUNT AND THEY POST THE BEST FANFICS EVER! Her fanfics are life I'm not even kidding GO CHECK IT OUT

Sorry I haven't updated my other Peeta fanfic in so long. I'm having really bad writers block with that one. I hope to update that one asap tho.
Love you all very very much