Chapter 2

~ Peeta's POV~

"Peeta! No. No! NO!! PEETA!"

I wake up and bolt upright in my bed.

A loud wailing is coming from the house across from mine and I immediately recognize the voice. Her screams haunt my dreams every night. I'd now the voice anywhere.

"PEETA!" I hear again followed by a loud scream and a heavy sob.

"Katniss! I'm coming!" I jump out of the warmth of my bed and sprint down the stairs, through the door and out into the frosty night air.

Katniss continues to scream out my name, her sobs getting louder and echoing through the Victors Village. I force open the door to her house and sprint up the stairs.

I haven't seen her for what feels like an eternity.

Nothing can prepare me for what I am about to see.

Her body is covered in burn scars just like mine. Her collar bones protrude unhealthily from her pale and destroyed skin and I could've easily counted her ribs through her T-shirt.

She continues to sob and thrash around in her bed, the sheets entangling themselves with her bony limbs. Sweat and tears pour off her gaunt face.

I hold her hands and hover a few inches above her face and gently call her name but its no use. This must be a really bad nightmare. I can't stand to see her in so much pain.

I start to get desperate and grab a firm hold of her shoulders, shaking her and yelling her name.

"Katniss! Please wake up," I yell as tears start running down my face.

At the sound of my voice she stops moving and jerks open her puffy red eyelids to reveal her stunning grey eyes.

She starts to sob again so I wrap my arms around her tightly, whispering calming things in her ear. I wipe the tears from her cheeks and brush her hair off her face.

It destroys me to see her like this, so miserable, frail and in so much pain. As I hold her I feel the bones on her arms and back stick into my skin.

Tears threaten to spill out of my eyes but I hold them back. I have to stay strong for Katniss.

When she stops crying and begins to fall asleep I gently let go of her and leave her bedroom. As much as it tears my heart into millions of little pieces I think it would be easier for her if I stayed away.

"Peeta, wait," Katniss murmurs urgently. I whip around to see if she is okay.

"Will you stay with me?"

I feel a small smile creep upon my lips as I remember the nights we shared on the train for the victory tour. I remember her asking me the same thing one of those nights so I reply with the same answer I gave her the first time.

"Always."

I climb back into bed next to her and feel her gently lay her head on my chest. I wrap my arms around her shoulder and waist.

We both fall asleep almost instantly. Neither of us have nightmares that night and we sleep peacefully together in this position until late morning.

Hope you guys enjoy the second chapter! Please give me feedback so I know where I have to improve. ~Cass 😘