Chapter 8

~Peeta POV~

Katniss needs to eat something. I decide to ignore what she said and make her some cheese buns. She seemed to like them yesterday so I must've been right in remembering that they were her favorite.

After a while of baking I pull the finished cheese buns from the oven. I let them cool on the bench while I tidy up after myself.

When I'm finished I go upstairs with a tray of cheese buns for her but I hear the shower running. I knock and yell that breakfast is ready but get no response. I'll just wait downstairs until she comes out.

After 30 minutes I start to get suspicious. She wouldn't normally take this long. I fidget with the strings on my pajama pants while I wait for a few more minutes.

I should probably go check on her. I knock on the door and get no response again. I put my ear to the door.

A loud sobbing is coming from inside. I burst through the door to find her crouching on the shower floor still fully clothed and sobbing violently. I can hear her mumbling things to herself but I can't quite make out what she is saying. Her hands are clamped tightly over her ears.

"Katniss?"

Her eyes roll back in their sockets and she collapses to the floor.

"Katniss!" I cry.

I swing open the shower door and scoop her up from the floor. After quickly turning the shower off I sprint downstairs, Katniss' head bobbing around in my arms.

I burst through the front door and into Haymitch's house.

"Haymitch? Haymitch!"

"What are you doing in my hou-" he shouts but stops short at the sight of a dripping, lifeless Katniss in my shaking arms.

"What happened?" he asks.
"I don't know! We need to get her to the hospital, now!"

Haymitch runs outside to start the car and I grab a towel to wrap around her soaked body. I cradle her in my arms, kissing her forehead lightly.

"Please, stay with me Katniss."