Chapter 9

~Haymitch POV~

"She was very dehydrated, tired and hadn't eaten enough food," the doctor explains. She doesn't say it but I know her mental state had something to do with it too. "She might be staying here for a few more days so we can keep an eye on her and make sure she gets back to how she should be."

"Thanks," I reply. She walks back down the hall, leaving me and Peeta to wait.

We are sitting in the waiting room of the new hospital that was recently built in District 12 to replace the one that was destroyed in the bombings.
Peeta sits next to me staring miserably at the floor. His clothes are still wet from holding Katniss earlier.

Ever since he got back from the Capital after the rebellion I have seen a massive improvement. He has been baking and painting again and it is evident that his love for Katniss is returning. It's also evident that the girl has realized how much she needs him. I have grown to like these kids and feel as if they are my own children. It's devastating to see them so broken. The games destroyed the pair of them. They're good kids and deserved a much better life than what they got.

The doctor we talked to earlier walks back into the waiting room an hour later.

"You can see her now," she says.
"Really?" Peeta jumps out of his seat and the doctor walks back down the hall with Peeta following right behind her. I think I'll visit later.

~Peeta POV~

She lies on a hospital bed, sleeping soundly. Her hair is in a tangled wet mess above her head and her face is still red and splotchy from her breakdown earlier today. A heart monitor next to the bed beeps at a regular pace.

I kiss her forehead gently and sit on a chair next to her bed. I grab her right hand that dangles from the bed and rub circles into her cold palm.

"When do you think she will wake up?" I ask the doctor.
"Any minute now," she replies. She exits the room and closes the door softly behind her.

Katniss' eyelashes start to flutter and she starts sniffling. Her eyes open and she looks terrified. I get up from the chair and stand next to her bed, moving the wet hair from her forehead.

"It's okay Katniss. You're okay now."
Her eyes are glazed with tears and confusion.

~Katniss POV~

I awake in a small room with blindingly white walls just like in my nightmare from a few days ago. I swear I can see blood splattered on the wall next to me. A scream rings through the room but I'm pretty sure I was the only one who heard it.

"Where am I? What happened?" As I say even these few words it feels as if someone is ripping out the insides of my throat. It feels as if I have been screaming or crying for hours.

"You're in the hospital. You passed out in the shower a few hours ago," Peeta explains, "Haymitch and I brought you here."

Wait, I passed out in the shower? Does that mean Peeta and Haymitch saw me naked? My cheeks start to burn and I can no longer meet Peeta's gaze.

Peeta notices my expression and quickly adds, " You still had clothes on. We didn't see you um- naked."

Somehow this response makes me feel even more embarrassed. I was in the shower with clothes on without even realizing. I'm really starting to lose my mind.

"The doctor said you hadn't had enough food or water, so you blacked out."

"Oh," is the only reply I can come up with. I start to become aware of a stinging sensation in my left arm and look down to see a massive needle passing a strange fluid into my bloodstream. I start to feel dizzy and nauseous.

"Why don't you get some rest," Peeta suggests, "you must be exhausted."

My throat is too sore to speak so I give him a small nod and close my eyes.