Chapter 3

~Katniss POV~

I wake at the sound of shuffling downstairs. I stretch out, seeking Peeta's warmth on the sheets but the bed is empty. I sit up rubbing my swollen sleepy eyes.

Did last night really happen or was it just my imagination? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter as I'm pretty sure I'm going crazy. It doesn't matter anyway because Peeta hates me and I should hate him.

I hear more shuffling in the kitchen. It must be Greasy Sae cooking my breakfast as she does every other morning. I appreciate that she does this for me but I feel bad that there are people in my life trying to keep me alive when I have lost the will to live.

I drag myself out of bed reluctantly and wash my tear streaked face with cold water. This has a cooling effect and relaxes me a bit.

I walk down the stairs and am surprised to see not Greasy Sae in the kitchen but Peeta.

So last night did happen.

His back faces me and I watch him walk around the kitchen, pulling trays of delicious looking food out of the oven. I spot a pile of fresh cheese buns, my favorite thing that Peeta used to bake for me, sitting on the bench. My mouth starts to water and my stomach that I haven't been bothering to fill lately rumbles.

I clear my throat awkwardly. Peeta jumps and spins around.

"Hey." he says.
"Hey," I reply.

For a while we stand at opposite corners of the room, Peeta searching my face for pain while I stare at the ground and pretend not to notice.

I can't stand the tension for a second longer so I run to him and wrap my arms around his neck. I know I shouldn't be doing this but I can't help myself.

I need the boy with the bread back that the Capital stole from me. My boy with the bread. My dandelion in the spring. My Peeta.

He stands stiffly for a moment, surprised by my sudden reaction but it doesn't take him long to return the hug.

A pleasantly warm sensation spreads from the spot on my neck where Peeta's steady breath falls, spreading through my veins and warming my entire body. He strokes my hair comfortingly.

I wish that I could freeze this moment and stay like this with Peeta forever.

You can't think like that Katniss! I pull away from the hug and stare at the ground, embarrassed by my childish and selfish behavior.

"Are you alright?" Peeta asks, " Did you want to talk about the nightmare you had last night?"

An image of the white walls stained in Peeta's blood flashes in my mind, his screams filled with agony piercing my thoughts. A shiver runs through my spine and I shake my head jerkily as tears well up in my eyes. I try to hide this from Peeta but its too late.

"It's okay Katniss. I shouldn't have asked that. I'm sorry," he stammers puling me in for another hug.

"Why don't you go sit down while I finish making breakfast."

"Okay thanks Peeta," I sniff with a half hearted smile.

I'm just about to sit down on the couch in front of the fire when I hear a yell and a tray crash to the ground.

"Katniss, UGHHH! Katniss get out of here now!"