Chapter 23

A week has passed since Peeta's trip to the Capitol and he is almost fully recovered, his muscles are regaining strength quickly and his mind is clicking back into place. We used to have to deal with flashbacks at least once a week, if not more, but he hasn't had one yet since he started taking the medication Dr Aurelias prescribed for morning and night.

However, I still remain on guard ready for an attack. Now that it is Summer, I have been hunting more and more often so my reflexes are a lot faster and I am almost as strong as I was in the games. I feel much more prepared for a flashback than I have ever been. Peeta is too.

He talked me through some of the strategies Dr Aurelias suggested that Peeta and I can use when he goes into hijacked mode such as, having him hold on to something solid like the back of the chair. He also talked to me about some of the signs he has noticed that show that a flashback is coming that I should look out for. He mentioned: sight issues, trouble communicating, migraines and feeling confused. As soon as either of us notice any of these signs we must give him his medication.

Today, Peeta and I are walking down to the town square to help with the reconstruction of the bakery. We heard on the news last week that it was one of the parts of the town that was being rebuilt and Peeta wanted to get back into the old family business too keep him busy.

When we get to the old location of the bakery we find a tall dark man digging up the remains of the bakery and placing it in a large waste bin. We introduce ourselves to the man and he tells us his name is Jared. We pick up a shovel and help out while keeping up a steady conversation, and after a few hours pass, the ground where the old bakery was is now flat and clear of debris, ready to be built upon again.

As we were digging, I could of sworn I saw tears in Peeta's eyes as we dug up his old home and very possibly, the ashes of his family. I want to hold him and tell him everything is okay but I think he wants some time alone in his head. And I of all people shouldn't be comforting Peeta about his family. After all, my arrow to the force field was the cause of their death. My actions are the cause of Peeta's grief. I don't have any idea how he puts up with me. I know that he knows that their deaths are my fault and he is too kind to admit it.

I wonder where we would be if I hadn't shot the arrow though. Would President Snow still be alive and terrorizing Panem? Would District 13 still remain unknown, underground, waiting to join a rebellion that may never happen? Would the games still be happening? I shiver at the thought and pull my head back into the present before my imagination and anxiety go into overdrive and make me have an episode in front of all of the workers surrounding us.

Jared kept glancing at us with a pitying and cautioned expression as if either Peeta or I were going to have an outburst in front of him, like we were both insane. It is true that we are both recovering but it is also true that both of us have endured so much physical and mental torture that we are far from sane and will never be able to fully recover. With all of the flashbacks, nightmares, hallucinations and episodes we have, the pair of us belong in a mental asylum.

But two broken halves make a whole. We work together to keep each other as close to sane as possible. Without each other I think we both would have died a long time ago. The games were a blessing and a curse. They forced Peeta and I to grow up much too fast for our age. Thanks to the games, we never got to be unknowing innocent children that any other child would be. But without them, Peeta and I will have never met. Peeta is the only light in my life right now. The idea of not having him in my life is unthinkable.

While in the town square, I noticed that the hob had been rebuilt into a much cleaner and more legal market, the school was slowly being rebuilt as well as more houses. The once eerily silent District 12 is now bustling with citizens and tourists from the Capitol strolling the streets and helping with the reconstruction. The fence is also being rebuilt to keep out dangerous animals like bears or wild cats but not to stop people from getting in. The new fence is no longer electrified and there is a gate that is easy to open and close, but there are signs all over them warning people of the dangers of entering the forest.

As the chill of the night sets upon us, Peeta and I's favourite part of the day begins; the sunset. We rush to the meadow like excitable children, hand in hand, to watch as the sun says its last farewell and sinks below the surface of the horizon in a flurry of beautiful colours. We stay out on the grass for a bit longer tonight, watching the stars glimmer like glitter upon the navy blue sky. I cuddle up to Peeta and he wraps an arm around me, encasing me in his warmth and protection. I drift off for a while, until Peeta gently shakes me to wake me up.

"Katniss?" he says softly.
"Mhmm?" I reply opening my eyes slightly.
"You seem to have a friend," he says smiling, looking down at our feet. Then I feel it. Something warm and fluffy curled up against my legs. I sit up and look down, sleepy and confused, at the muddy yellow cat until my brain, still half asleep, makes the connection.
"Buttercup!" I scratch behind his ears and he purrs indignantly. I haven't seen him for almost a year now; the last time I was him was when he climbed through the window to my house after the rebellion and we cried together over Prim.

"Was this - her - cat?" Peeta asks cautiously waiting for my reaction.
"Yeh, it was Prim's," I reply with as much strength and calmness as I can muster but my voice cracks slightly on her name. Peeta pulls me into his arms, rubbing my shoulder soothingly and kisses the top of my head. I take a moment to regain my composure, breathing in the smells of the meadow and Peeta's scent in deep breaths.

When I'm ready, I emerge from Peeta's arms and turn my attention back to Buttercup. His fur is matted and covered in thorns. Dirt, mud and who knows what else cover him from head to foot. I notice blood on the grass under one of his paws. I know Prim would be begging for me to clean him up and take care of him. I must do this for her.

I take off my jacket and scoop up Buttercup in it. With him in my arms I can feel how skinny he is, his bones prod out and poke into my arms through the jacket. When we get back home I have Peeta run him a bath. Together we bathe the poor creature, despite his constant meowing protests.

By the time we are finished, Buttercup is back to his usual foul yellow colour, his fur is free of thorns and his injured paw is clean and bandaged. We feed him the leftovers from our dinner of turkey and vegetables and put him on a bed of old towels beside the dying embers of the fire.

However, when we woke up the next morning, Buttercup was fast asleep, purring peacefully on Peeta's stomach next to me.

Awwwww Buttercup! They are like a happy little family aww so cute I love it omg

Sorry for yet another awful chapter I hope they get better soon. Please let me know how I can improve and give me any feedback as always. Tbh I haven't even finished editing this chapter yet cuz im going out but I will edit it later. Hope you don't mind.

BTW im working on a new cover for this fanfic bc I feel really bad for using a picture that isn't mine and I don't know who made it so I cant give them credit BUT JC ITS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FANART IVE EVER SEEN I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

This story has over 8.5 k WTAF WHY I really don't deserve it like why it has the same plotline as every other everlark fanfic ever and its dramatic and cliché af BUT OH WELL TYSM GUYS *hugs you all* Thank you for your support and all of the favourite spams and lovely comments you all give me it makes my day :D

~everlarkeverlark~