Chapter 7

~Peeta POV~

I drift in and out of a restless sleep. I can feel extra weight on top of me and open my eyes.

Katniss is still slumped on top of me. Her chest rising and falling with mine. The sun isn't quite up yet and I don't want to wake her. She needs all of the rest she can get to make up for the sleep taken by nightmares. Plus I feel quite comfortable and happy like this.

I can feel her heart beat on my chest and her shallow breaths on my neck. A shiver runs through my spine at the pleasant feeling.

After a few minutes she slowly begins to wake. She lifts her head up and drousily rubs the sleep from her stunning silver eyes.

"Good Morning Katniss!"
"Good Morning."

She looks down at our position and climbs off me awkwardly while apologizing. She lies down on her back next to me. I wanted us to stay lying like that forever but we can't. This relationship is so complicated.

"I'm really sorry for waking you last night."
"Don't worry about it Peeta," she replies with a huge yawn.
"Thanks. Well, I'm going to go make breakfast. What would you like?"
"I'm not really hungry," she replies.
"Are you sure Katniss?"

I glance down at her body and I can see every bone jut out from her colorless skin. Her limbs look like thin twigs that could snap at the slightest touch. She needs some food in her system or she could get very ill.

"Yeh, I'm sure."

~Katniss POV~

As soon as the sound of his footsteps die down I get out of bed and hop into the shower to wash my swollen, tear streaked face. I make sure that I spend a long time in there so hopefully by the time I'm out Peeta will be long gone.

I'm so embarrassed by how I dealt with Peeta's nightmare last night. I should have held back my tears and comforted him until he calmed down. He was the one having a nightmare, not me. I punch the shower wall in anger at myself.

Peeta comforted me last night when it should have been the opposite. I have lost control of my emotions since the rebellion and I can't stand it. Peeta, on the other hand, who has been through so much more than me, still stands strong and stays by me despite all he has been through.

A drunken Haymitch appears in front of me and sits on the edge of the bathtub, swaying slightly. He clutches a half empty bottle of white liquor.

"You could live a hundred lifetimes and not deserve him, you know."

"I know Haymitch. I know! But what do I do?!"

Haymitch disappears.

I crouch to the floor and sob as silently as I can so I don't summon a concerned Peeta. A mix of steaming water from the shower and tears gush down my face.

What was I crying about again? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I can no longer control my sobbing and my body goes numb. I know I'm on the brink of hysteria.

"Katniss?"

Then the world goes black.