Chapter 24

The mutt chasing me leaps onto my back, hurtling me to the ground. The weight of the creature crushes my body. The mutt starts chewing on my face, agonisingly slowly. I scream myself awake. Taking a minute to calm down, I get my heart rate and breathing back to normal, and sort real from not real by telling myself facts about my surroundings.

The bed is empty, Peeta must have left early this morning to go help with the construction of the bakery.

The window is open, letting in a cool, morning breeze. I remember Peeta opening it last night like he does every night before bed.

The door to the hallway is shut, probably by Peeta so he didn't wake me as he got ready downstairs and left.

Buttercup is sitting on my lap, looking up at me with begging eyes for food.

My cheek is wet and warm. I bring my hand up to it to feel it. My breathing quickens when I realise that was where the mutt was chewing and it slows back down when I realise it was probably just Buttercup. He's been here for a few weeks now and whenever Peeta or I have a nightmare, he tries to wake us up, licking our faces. I don't know where this caring version of my old cat came from, but I like it. I scratch him behind his ears and I'm just beginning to stand up and make my way downstairs to feed him when I hear footsteps come up the stairs. Peeta's uneven, loud footsteps. I smile at the familiar sound and greet him as he walks towards me with a tray full of food.

"Good Morning, Peeta."
"Good Morning, Birthday girl!"
"What-" and then I remember the date today, May 8th. Today I will be twenty-two. Peeta sets the tray down on the bed behind me and wraps his arms around me in a warm embrace.

"Happy Birthday, Katniss."
"Thanks!"

My stomach rumbles, interrupting our moment and leaving us both chuckling. We dig in to the birthday breakfast Peeta made which included a mountain of cheese buns, some fruit and a cup of hot chocolate each. It's almost impossible to hold in my sighs, the fruit is so fresh and sweet, the cheese buns still warm, and the hot chocolate warms my entire body with one sip. In almost no time, the tray is empty and I'm full to the point of bursting.

"Thanks Peeta."
"No problem.

I kiss him briefly and pull away but he grabs my neck, tangling his fingers in my hair and pulls me back in. I mimick him, bringing my hands up on his neck and tangling my fingers in his soft curls. I could feel the rapid beat of his heart, beating as one with mine, taste the sweetness of the fruit and hot chocolate still on his lips. The familiar fire and hunger for more spread through my body.

We were interrupted by someone standing at the door clearing their throat loudly and abnoxiously.
"Should I come back later?" I pulled away from Peeta, disentangling myself from him. I glance at our unexpected visitor quickly enough to see Haymitch roll his eyes with a smirk.

"What do you have against knocking? You can't just come barging into our house whenever you want!" I stare at the floor, too embarrassed to make eye contact with either Peeta, or Haymitch. My cheeks feel like they're on fire.
"I did knock and I waited out there for ages before I let myself in. I also announced myself as I walked up here, but obviously, you guys were too busy to hear me," I look up quick enough to see him roll his eyes again before I drop my gaze back to the creme coloured carpet under my toes.

"What's up?" Peeta asks shyly, his cheeks tinted pink.
"I just came to say Happy Birthday!" He walks over and gives me an awkward hug. I can barely keep myself from gagging, the stench of alcohol and sweat coming from his body is overwhelming.

"Thanks." We pull away and I walk back over next to Peeta.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" Haymitch asks Peeta gesturing to downstairs. I give Peeta a questioning look as he nods and follows Haymitch out of the room and downstairs, out of earshot and out of eyesight. While they talk downstairs I decide to shower and dress myself. I pull on some comfortable black sweatpants and a green blouse. I dry and braid my freshly washed hair. When I walk back downstairs, Haymitch is gone and Peeta is cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast.