Chapter 13

~Peeta POV~

It takes about an hour for us both to calm down and we hold on to eachother the whole time. Soon our sobs are reduced to soft hiccups and we are left with swollen red faces and sore throats.

When will this hell end? The games and the rebellion were finished almost a year ago now but we still have to pay for them over and over again every single day of our lives.

We start to slowly untangle our bodies from eachother and loosen our grips but I don't want to let her go. We both stand up and I get lost in her beautiful silvery eyes that stare back at me. I brush her hair back from her face in gentle strokes. Her shiny black hair flows down her back. I see sadness in her expression but also something else I can't quite place.

~Katniss POV~

I get lost in his mesmerizing blue eyes. He starts to stroke back my hair from my face and I can't help but sigh at his touch. His hand, warm and soft, caresses my check and I lean my head against it and place my small, cold one on top of his.

For a minute I forget the past and let myself get lost in this moment. I close my eyes and focus on the warm feeling from his touch on my skin spreading like wildfire throughout my body.

This warmth leaves me feeling giddish and sleepy. Peeta scoops me up to take me to bed and I fall asleep in his arms as he carries me up the stairs.

I slept pretty well that night. My sleep was nightmare less and calm for a change. I did have a dream but it was a happy one.

It was the memory of the day the picture for the book was taken.

My father had a friend from the Hob take a family photo of us in a trade for fresh game that I had caught with him. Prim and I could not stop giggling that day at a stupid joke our father had told us earlier. Our laughter was infectious and would make our parents and other people from district 12 smile with us.

Children have always been a distraction in our district. I'm not sure about the other districts but in ours they are like a distraction from the starvation and depression that the Capitol leaves us with. Their laughter is like a beaming ray of hope.

The picture was taken in the part of the meadow near our home. I remember the dandelions dancing in the light wind. I remember the sweet spring air. I remember my family, happy and carefree.

I wake up with tears in my eyes and a sad smile on my face.

I miss them so much.

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry it's a bit short

I hope you had an awesome Christmas (if you celebrate it). 🎅

I'm really sorry I haven't posted in so long. I have been really busy with Christmas and family stuff at the moment and haven't had much time to write. Sorry! I think I will be able to post more soon. Thanks guys 😊

~everlarkeverlark~