Chapter 11

((A/N: I changed the end of the last chapter so I could add something into this one. You might want to go back and read that first before reading this so it makes more sense. It's only the last paragraph that I changed. Hope you enjoy 😊))

~Katniss POV~

I hear moaning coming from somewhere close by.
"Katniss. No! Stay with me!"
I run out of my bedroom and into the hallway. Where is Peeta? I use my hunting senses to find where the sound is coming from. I freeze when I realize what room Peeta is in.

Her name is painted beautifully on a piece of paper that is stuck to the door. A bright pink quilt our mother made is pulled over the bed. Pictures and paintings of the meadow and our family are stuck on the soft yellow walls. Some of her clothes and belongings are still in the room even though she is long gone.

Why is Peeta in her bed?! Why didn't he just come into mine? I haven't dared to go in this room as it reminds me too much of her. I haven't been able to bring myself to even think of her name.

Come on Katniss. Be strong for Peeta! He needs you right now! He is still yelling for me. In her bed. I wipe tears that are forming in my eyes, take a deep breath and clear any thought of her from my brain. I'm just walking over to the bed when reality blurs away and a flashback takes its place.

I catch sight of her standing in the group of Capitol children. My lips are forming her name when the parachutes go off. Her body is blown to bits right in front of me.

I can't do it.

I fall to my knees as the tears come and a horrible animal like scream escapes my mouth.

"I'm sorry Prim! I should have saved you! Its all my fault!"

I roll into a ball and scream awful things to myself. I sob like I never have before.

I can hear a voice urgently trying to reach me over my screams but I don't stop. Suddenly I feel like I'm floating through the air. Then I feel the bed under my body. I continue to sob and scream until I can't any longer.

I start to become aware of my surroundings as someone pulls me close to their body and strokes my hair and back. I stop and look up.

~Peeta POV~

She stops crying and looks up at me.
"It's okay Katniss-"
"No! It's not okay!" she yells, " It's all my fault! I could have saved her!"
"No you couldn't have. It wasn't your fault." I talk in a quiet, soothing voice that will hopefully calm her down. It's hell to see her like this.
"Yes it was!"
"Were you the one that dropped the bombs?"
"No, but-"
"Look at me Katniss," I push her face up with my finger under her chin so her eyes meet mine, " were you the one that dropped the bombs?"
"No," she says.
"Well then you didn't kill her. And it's not your fault. Prim is in a better place now where she is safe from any harm."

Katniss' anger at herself subsides and sadness takes its place. She buries her face into my chest and sobs. Her body trembles violently and each sob brings a stabbing pain to my heart. After at least half an hour of this hell her sobbing gradually becomes softer and softer until it stops and Katniss falls asleep.

I wont let myself follow her. I know that tonight's going to be a particularly bad night for Katniss. I hold her close to my chest and prepare myself for the nightmares ahead.