Chapter 22

I wake up at dinner time still in Peeta's arms. He still seems to be fast asleep so I decide to get up and make him some dinner. The best food I can cook without the risk or failing miserably would have to be a stew or soup, so I start to pull out the ingredients for pumpkin soup. After 40 minutes pass, I have two bowls of soup in front of me. I'm actually pretty happy with the end result. It was good for my standards but I know Peeta would have been able to make something a lot more interesting and tastier. I know he will appreciate my efforts though.

I place the bowls on a tray with spoons and a glass of water and go back to the living room. Peeta is awake but doesn't look very well. He looks around the room with a dazed and confused expression, his fingers vigourusly massaging his temples.

"Hey," I say soothingly. I place the tray on the coffee table and kneel on the floor next to the couch. "How are you feeling?"
"Great," he replies sarcastically. I smile sadly.
"I've got dinner. Are you feeling up to having something to eat?"
"Yes please, I'm starving."

I place a bowl on his lap and mine. Peeta digs in almost immediately. I switch on the TV, flicking through the channels, stopping on a news channel. Caesar Flickerman appears on the screen.
"Hello citizens of Panem and welcome to Panem News on Channel 10. I am Caesar Flickerman. Firstly, let's go to Natasha in to give us an update on the districts and the weather."

A tall woman with curly brown hair and dark skin appears on the screen wearing a blue dress that looks as if it's made of satin. It must have been incredibly expensive.

"Thank you Caesar. First for the district updates. Two new hospitals have finished construction this week and are ready for use, one in District 4, another in District 10. There are three more hospitals in construction in District 2, 6 and 11 which are expected to reach completion in late September. Lots of shops and facilities are being rebuilt in District 12 after the horrific bombing, including a bakery, a market, a school and houses. District 13 is gradually rebuilding above the surface again. All of the weaponry in the bunkers have been destroyed to insure that Panem continues to be safe and peaceful.
And now for the weather! Most of Panem should be experiencing warm weather as we head into Summer with clear skies-"

"Thank you for dinner Katniss," he kisses me on the cheek, "it was delicious."
"You finished it quickly! Do you want some more?"
"Yes please."

I take his bowl from him and walk to the kitchen. I fill his bowl with the remains of the soup that I made from a pot on the stove. When I walk back and place the bowl on Peeta's lap, Caesar is back on the screen.

"And now for some Victor news. The golden boy of Panem, Peeta Mellark was seen boarding the train to leave the Capitol today after spending just over a week there. We interviewed any people that might have visited him about why and what he was doing in the Capitol but no one seemed to know-"
"Am I really the golden boy of Panem?" he places his hand over his heart and puts on a dramatically dazed and cheerful expression, "I'm very honoured." I can't help but laugh. It feels so good to laugh, getting rid of any negative energy that I didn't even know was there. Out of the corner of my eye I see Peeta staring at me with a loving expression. We both turn our attention back to the screen when we here her name.
"Annie Odair's son, Byron has just turned three today! If the Odair's are watching, happy birthday Byron!"

"We should visit them one day."
"Yeh, that would be nice," I reply. I really hope Annie's doing okay.

Caesar closes the show off with a few words and his signature flawless smile before Peeta switches the TV off.
"I'm going to head up to bed."
"Okay. I'm going to finish in the kitchen."

He kisses my forehead before climbing the stairs. While cleaning the kitchen I remember about Peeta's medication he must take. I find his bag on the couch and find three different pill bottles with some instructions in Dr Aurulias's messy handwriting.

"One Cognex pill (blue bottle; helps slow down brain) in the morning after breakfast and one at night after dinner. DO NOT take one if you haven't eaten before. ALWAYS TAKE WITH WATER. One Xanex (large green bottle) if Peeta shows signs of having a flashback. May cause confusion, memory loss and he may be emotionless for a while. Either Peeta or Katniss: take ONE Zoloft (small red bottle; STRONG antidepressant) ONLY USE IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Side effects include: severe memory loss and confusion, strong mood swings, weight loss, can be addictive. USE WITH CAUTION."

Leaving the instructions and other pill bottles on the counter, I take one Cognex pill out of its blue bottle, fill a glass of cold water and carry them up to bed. Peeta is in bed but not asleep by the time I get there.

"Here take this. It's one of the pills you have to take from now on."

He swallows the small round pill with the water while I get changed in my pyjamas in the bathroom next door. I turn off the lights and crawl under the covers and into his arms, the arms I have been needing around me for days.

"Can we do Real or Not Real?"
"Sure."

"We are in District 12, in the Victors Village, in your house."
"Real."

"I have been gone for a week in the Capitol."
"Real."

"They were . . trying to . . get answers from me? Torture me?
"Not Real. They were trying to help you. They were trying different medicines to stop your flashbacks."

"You love me?"
"Real. Always." I reply. His mouth forms a big grin.
"I love you too."

He kisses my lips softly, then my forehead. I snuggle into him, feeling myself drift to sleep easier and faster than I ever have before.

~

Hey guys! I'm really sorry for not updating in so long! I just started watching Supernatural and have not been able to stop watching it. I'm up to Season 5 now. Do you guys watch it?

Happy Easter for yesterday! Hope you had an awesome day with your family and friends and got loads of chocolate!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! By the way, I picked the name Byron for Finnick and Annie's son because it is the name of a famous beach in Australia and sounds like a beachy/surfy name so I thought it would be perfect.

Thank you so much for your support! This story now has over 7k reads and 300 favourites!! Omg your support means so much! I love you all heaps and thanks again!