14

--

--

The next day, they held Jenna's funeral.

They all wanted to get it done quickly, since they didn't want Jenna's body lying in some random morgue. They knew she deserved better than that. She was never meant to die in the first place, anyways.

Lily found herself tugging on a black dress her mother had bought for her a few months before she died. Her mother had claimed she saw it hanging up in the store and just knew Lily would look good in it.

As she stood in the mirror, Lily gazed over herself, noticing the dark circles under her puffy eyes from lack of sleep. She had tried to cover them up with concealer, but it didn't work, and she felt like they were outlined even more from it.

Lily had been up all night, tossing and turning while thinking about Elijah.

Lily felt more betrayed than she ever had, and she couldn't stop crying the entire night. She just couldn't get over the fact that he had promised her he would come back to her, and then he never did. He chose to trust his brother over her - something she thought he wouldn't do. The way he spoke about his brother made it seem as though he despised him. Yet, he went with Klaus instead of her. The look on his face the moment he broke Lily's trust kept replaying in her head, like a film with a faulty disk.

Lily had silently prayed that morning that she would go downstairs to find Elijah standing in the living room, waiting for her. She had imagined he would apologize continually, and tell her how wrong he was. But she knew she was letting her mind get the best of her - he wasn't coming back.

"You look nice." Elena commented from the doorway, causing Lily to turn and face her. Elena had woken up that morning, only to find that she was still human, which she was incredibly grateful for.

"Thanks." Lily replied quietly, biting her lip as she looked at her sister. John had died to save Elena from becoming a vampire, and Lily was starting to regret the way she had treated him before. She didn't realize how much he actually cared about Elena, considering he had let her go years without knowing her past.

"Stefan told me what Elijah had promised you." Elena spoke up, causing Lily to immediately avert her eyes towards the ground, finding a new interest in the shaggy carpet below her feet. "I'm sorry, Lily. I didn't know you felt that strongly towards him." Elena felt awful for her sister, knowing how betrayed she felt. She hadn't seen Lily like this since the accident, and Jeremy informed her that he heard Lily crying the entire night after Stefan dropped her off.

"It's fine." Lily replied quickly, slipping her black heels on as she shook her head in denial. She didn't want to think about Elijah, and Elena wasn't helping at all, despite the fact that she had good intentions in her words.

"You can't push me out, Lily." Elena continued, watching as she grabbed her phone from her nightstand. "I can't imagine how-" She started to speak again, but Lily jumped in.