12

--

After Damon fed Elena vampire blood, the entire household essentially split up.

Stefan took Elena out for the afternoon, wanting her to spend her last day as a human the right way. Lily was glad Elena would have someone to take care of her for the rest of her life, knowing Stefan was the best person for her to be with.

Damon and Alaric went to the grill to have drinks after dropping Jenna off at home, and Lily was still mad at Damon, so she didn't go.

That left Elijah and Lily at the Salvatore house.

Lily felt weird being in the house alone with Elijah, especially since it wasn't her house.

But, they needed to clear a few things up before the sacrifice.

"Are you sure you can kill Klaus?" Lily asked Elijah from her spot on the sofa, watching as he put his elixir away in the box, since it was now useless.

"He will be vulnerable." Elijah replied simply, closing the box as he looked up to meet her gaze. "I need you to trust me." He added, running his hands over the box carefully.

"I do. You know that." Lily replied, looking down at her hands as she shook her head. "But what if he kills you? I just got you back, Elijah." Lily asked, her voice a lot softer than it was before. She was terrified of losing him again, knowing how awful it felt to not know when or if she would see him again.

Elijah paused for a moment, contemplating on how to answer her question. He couldn't promise that he wouldn't be killed, knowing how his brother could get. But, he really didn't want Lily to worry about him.

So, Elijah walked down the steps and over to the sofa, sitting down next to Lily.

Elijah took one of her hands in his, lifting it up to his lips. He pressed a soft kiss to her knuckles before interlocking his fingers with hers.

"I will do everything it takes to not get killed." Elijah promised, gripping her hand in his as he lowered it to rest in her lap. "You should not worry about me." He added, running his thumb over her knuckles gently to comfort her.

"But I'm going to." Lily replied, looking up to meet his eyes. The golden flecks that made up his eyes were more prominent in that moment, probably due to the sun shining through the windows. "I can't help it, Elijah." Lily continued, causing him to let go of her hand and cup her cheek instead.

"I will come back. You need to understand why I am keeping you away from the sacrifice tonight." Elijah stated firmly, staring into her eyes as he did so. Lily shook her head, though, pulling out of his grip slightly.

"No. I am going, whether you like it or not." Lily replied, watching as his face tightened slightly. She was definitely the most stubborn person he had ever encountered. "I will stay out of Klaus' way, I just need to make sure that Elena is okay." Lily added, trying to convince him to let her go. She wasn't about to let everyone go risk their lives while she sat back and did nothing.

"Lily, this is not up for negotiation." Elijah said, one of his eyebrows slightly raised as he spoke. He didn't feel like arguing with her, but if it came down to her safety, he would.

"Well, you can't stop me." Lily argued, watching as his lips curled up slightly. He found it amusing, yet also attractive, that she tried to put him in his place.

"I can, and I will." Elijah replied, leaning back slightly into the couch as he watched her roll her eyes.

"I'm being serious, Elijah." Lily was now annoyed with the Original, who couldn't seem to loosen his grip on her. She stood up from where she was sitting, about to walk out of the room, before Elijah vamped in front of her.