One Year Later (Chapter 10, Part 1)

EFFY’s POV

A year from today, Zachary asked me to be his girlfriend and I gladly said yes. Now, I regret saying yes to him. I regret even meeting him, I should have decline the first time he asked me on a date. I shouldn’t ask him to fight for me if he did liked me, he fought for me but now he didn’t care about me anymore. It’s like I’m just his getaway, his fuck buddy I guess.

Cook, it’s like I never see him anymore. He rarely sitting in our apartment, there were nights he come back home and ignoring me. I don’t know what I did wrong, after the night I told him that I’m with Zachary. He distanced himself for me. I tried asking Jordan about it but all he said, “I wish I can but I don’t want yourself to be in a danger.” But I don’t get it, me? in danger? I don’t have any enemies at all.

Farrah, she’s gone. She never called or text me at all, she wasn’t in campus anymore. She’s not even in college anymore, I tried calling her family but none of them ever return my calls. The last time I’ve seen her was 9 months ago, we were shopping and stuffs but when I called her that night. She didn’t answer but there were a letter on my desk. The letter wrote,

To Effy.

   I’m sorry Eff. You’ve been a good friend, I hope we can meet again another life. I love you. Don’t contact me ever again.I wish I could tell you what’s happening around you but I couldn’t. Please let go of Zachary and take a good care of Cook.

                                            -Farrah                                          

I don’t what she meant but I tried breaking up with Zachary but it didn’t work. I wanted to do it again today, I’m gonna break up with Zachary. It seems not right, I want Cook back in my life. I want to know what happened to Farrah. I want to know what’s the meaning behind Jordan’s words.

My phone ringed and I shook my head, I looked at my phone and it was Zachary calling. I swallowed the lump in my throat and sighed. I pressed answer.

Effy: ‘Hey.’

Zach: ‘Hey beautiful, it’s been a year since we’ve been together. I’m gonna take you out. Wear something comfy. I love you.’

Effy: ‘Okay.’

Zach: ‘You forgot something, Elizabeth.’

Effy: ‘Oh um, I love you too.’

Zach: ‘That’s more I like it. See you tonight, my love.’

I hung up and sighed again. I went to my closet. Took my denim jacket, white t-shirt and blue jeans. I put it on and put my hair in a bun. I got out from my room and saw Cook coming in. I took a deep breath and grabbed his wrist.

“Cook.” I called him.

“Hm?” He hummed.

My throat went dry, my eyes were full of tears and I swallowed the lump in throat to sound very normal.

“Is there something wrong with us?” I said, looking down. He turned around and looked at me.

“There’s nothing wrong.” He wiggled his wrist so he could let go from my grasp, I let him go.

“Then why are you never here anymore? Why are you ignoring me? Did I do something wrong?” I asked him and looked at him dead in the eye.

“You got a boyfriend.” Was all he said and I went really mad.

“THAT’S ALL?! I GOT A BOYFRIEND?!” I screamed at him.

“You don’t understand.” He sighed.

I kept on screaming at him and he kept saying that I don’t understand.

“This is why I hate you.” I screamed at him, again.

“Piss off.” He said and went to his room. I run my fingers through my hair and started crying. After a while, my phone ringed and I groaned. I looked at the caller ID, it was Zach. I didn’t answer, I wiped my tears and covered my puffy eyes with concelear and went downstairs quickly. I got in the car and sighed. Zach started driving and I kept quiet.

“Happy one year anniversary, baby.” Zachary said and placed his hand on my thigh. I pushed his hand away and looked at the window. “What’s wrong with you?” He groaned and stopped driving, he parked the car at the side of the road and I still kept quiet. He pulled my hair and I groaned, I looked at him. “What’s wrong with you?!” He yelled. If you want to know why I regret dating him is because he’s a hot-headed. He easily reach his hand on me, he didn’t hit me but he pulls my hair or either choke me. Not that death choke but he just wrapped his fingers around my throat, tightly. “Nothing.” I said quietly. “You’re pathetic.” He let go of me and I cried silently. He started driving, he always uses bad words to me. Calling me worthless, pathetic and stuffs & I wish he just let me go. “Let me go, Zach.” I said and wiped my tears. “Don’t be stupid little girl, I will never let you go.” He cursed and I started crying. “Why?” I hit the dashboard and groaned.

“You’re mine, I don’t let go of my property so easily. If you do want me to let you go, you’ll pay the price. Don’t be stupid just like you are Elizabeth, you’re too fragile to even fight me back. You shouldn’t have said yes when I asked you to be mine. If you rejected me long time ago, I will never disturb you.” He said, smirking.

Once we reach at his mansion, he comes out and I came out from the car started running away. He shouted my name and chased me, unfortunately I fell down and he picked me up. “Stupid bitch.” He said, and I banged his back and he walked to his house. Once we reach inside, he locked the door and looked at me. “Thinking running away from me would be a good idea? Think again.” He smirked again. “Dinner’s ready, my love. Let’s celebrate.” He smiled and took my hand & walked to the dining room. I sat on the chair and he did the same, his maid came in and served us food. “Thank you, Lia. Have a two weeks off starting from now.” He said nicely and Lia left the house quickly. He started eating and I looked at the food, I lost my appetite and I saw Zach’s eyes on me. “Eat.” He said, firmly. “I’m not hungry.” I said, quietly. “FUCKING EAT.” He yelled and tears were rolling down on my cheek. I forced myself to eat, “Good.” He said, smiling. I wiped my tears and keep on forcing myself to eat.

After we’re done eating, I looked at him. “Can I go home?” I asked, and tried to sound as nice as I could. “No, you’re staying.” He wiped his mouth and walked to me. He held my hands and walked to a dark room. When he turned on the lights, it was an empty room with only one single bed.