Chapter Eighteen

Song of the chapter is 'Guts Over Fear' by Eminem and Sia

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

 "Why are you in my house?" I asked as terror made its way through my body. I pushed myself further into the kitchen counter as the intruder ventured further into the room. My entire body trembled as I tried to think of an escape plan. The fact that I was panicking didn't make the task any easier. I only had two options; fight or flight. The only problem was that the flight option wasn't looking viable anymore.

  "You ask so many questions — but then again, I guess you couldn't get your social status without being nosy and digging up a little dirt by asking questions," they replied instead of answering my question. Their tone suggested that if I could see them, then they would have a large arrogant smirk on their face.

  "Answer my question!" I shouted at them which took them by surprise.

  "It would do you well to watch how you speak to me. I told you earlier, I do not appreciate bad manners Khloe," their voice was icy and heartless. It only intensified the panic and fear flooding my thoughts and my body. Their tone of voice as they said my name made me tremble. There was so much hatred and anger inside of them that was directed at me.

I could sense them getting closer, I could hear their footsteps. I wasn't feeling confident in stabbing whoever the intruder was with the knife I held behind my back. I didn't want to hurt them. I didn't want to be a murderer.

Which is something I can't say about the person who killed me — they intended to hurt me. I was many things but evil was not one of them.

My mind was racing; I didn't know how I would protect myself despite having a knife in my hand.

  "Oh Khloe, I can see you now. How beautiful you look under moonlight. Your hair — it shines," they said, their voice came out husky. "I want to touch it."

Immediately, alarm bells went off in my head. What kind of creep was I dealing with here?

Sobs escaped my body, "don't even t-think about it!"

  "And who is going to stop me if I did touch it — touch you? There's nobody here," they said before finishing with a laugh.

  "I'll scream so fucking loud that the whole neighbourhood will hear me!" I threatened. We both knew I wouldn't be able to scream that loud considering the neighbourhood was so big. But I couldn't let them think I had given up or that I would back down.

   "Do it then," they whispered suddenly in front of me. I was about to open my mouth and scream in fear but the unexpected happened.

The phone rang in the hall.

The motherfucking phone rang.

Saved by the bell perhaps?

Adrenaline suddenly bolted into my limbs as my survival instinct came in. Shocking both myself and the intruder, I plunged the knife I had hidden behind my back into their upper thigh. They shouted in pain as the knife pierced their skin. I didn't stop sinking it in until I could push it in no more. The knife was wedged in their upper thigh and I'm pretty sure I hit bone. They shrieked as their body recognised the pain and fell to the floor, writhing in agony.

I didn't wait to see if they were going to get back up and instead I ran straight out of the kitchen and into the hall. By now the phone had rung off and I didn't stop to call anyone. Instead I went straight for the hall table which had the front door keys in it. I carelessly tugged the drawer from the cabinet and it crashed to the floor, smashing in the process. I crouched to the ground and began desperately searching for anything that felt like the keys. I couldn't see anything due to the darkness and nor did I want to. I didn't want to risk the stranger I had stabbed seeing me as I fled. I could still hear them shouting in the kitchen.