Chapter Forty Six

Song of the chapter is Pity Party by Melanie Martinez

Edit: 'all the lies I've told' is now live on my profile!! Please go check it out and tell me what u think !!

CHAPTER FORTY SIX

"How did it go with Annabelle?" I asked Chase. I had found him in his bedroom wearing just a towel while wiping his hair dry as he looked out the window.

Chase turned around, completely unperturbed by my sudden appearance, "good actually."

I couldn't help but smile to myself considering what had happened with Tyler minutes earlier.

"Told you she'd forgive you," I replied with a haughty tone and teasing smile.

Chase raised his eyebrows as he stopped ruffling his hair, "I'm not exactly forgiven. It's not like I ruined her favourite pair of shoes or something. I used her to get drugs which were later the cause of her ex-boyfriend's overdose. Not exactly something you can apologise for by giving her a box of chocolates and a flimsy apology."

Chase's sweeping statements  often managed to wipe the grin off my face and now was no different. His reminder wasn't aimed at me, but I could detect an undertone of accusation. Truthfully Chase was showing just how much Caleb's death has effected him, his guilt would forever be my fault.

    "Try to forget about it, it's not like anyone blames you," I muttered. "Take her to dinner and confess your love for her," I said in an attempt to change the conversation.

    "I'm not in love with her, but I think I could be someday," he replied. His eyes flickered with hope as he thought to his future and I felt my mouth upturning at the corners. In my opinion, Chase deserved to be happy and if there was any way that I would be able to ensure his happiness, I would do it no matter the consequences.

    "I went to see Tyler and Mackenzie today," I stated as I went to stare out of Chase's bedroom window which overlooked onto Tyler's front garden. "He realises that killing me solved nothing and he seems to regret it on some sort of level but not enough to confess."

Chase nodded before grabbing a navy t-shirt off of his bed and pulling it over his head angrily, "and Mackenzie?"

I laughed bitterly before explaining to him how Alec, Marnie and I had trashed her house with the only suitable excuse Mack would be able to use was that she had done it herself. I had already planted the seed of doubt into her father's head that maybe Mackenzie wasn't all there upstairs. Ruining the house would only increase his worry and the erratic behaviour which I was hoping that fear and lack of sleep would cause would be enough to send her hurtling over the edge of the cliff.

     "Out of the five of those involved, you've focused your attention on Mackenzie and Tyler which I suppose was a given," Chase started as he took a seat on the swivel chair normally pushed under his desk, "Annabelle got you drugs but you left her alone and we both know what happened to Caleb," he said the last part of the sentence in a lower voice as he averted his eyes.

     "But what about Mike? He did take over my job as 'stalker' but yet you've all but left him out of all revenge plans," Chase finished with an inquisitive look on his face. His voice had an edge to it as though he feared my answer.

    "I figured he got enough payback. I stabbed him in the leg, deep enough to cause a limp and that limp would be hectic if not complete destructive to his hockey career. I know that he was counting on a hockey scholarship and who in their right mind would give a scholarship to an injured player?" I replied as I dropped myself back onto his bed, staring up at the small glow in the dark stars that were blotted along the ceiling. When we first moved here, Chase had had a small and very secret obsession with space. He used to have different books on constellations and planets and even saved up his weekly pocket money to buy a fancy long-range telescope. Now however, the only space related items that were on display were those tiny stars as everything else had been stored away in a closet down the hall, where all of our old items and toys went to die.