Chapter Thirty Three

Song of the chapter is 'Not About Angels' by Birdy

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

Marnie and I sat in my backyard watching the officers and forensic team try to put together the last moments before my death. Marnie also tried to shed some understanding on what sort of state I was actually in and how this whole 'being dead' thing worked.

"Basically," she began, "your body is dead but your soul is not. Naturally, you were not supposed to die at seventeen so your soul is - well for want of a better word - angry at the fact you can't continue living how you were. The only way for you to find peace is if justice is served to those who caused you to die. Whether that's the death of the person who killed you or even acknowledgement that they are a murderer," Marnie explained as dusk began to set. The backyard was lit up using industrial strength lighting so that the investigators could continue to search for evidence long after the night had set.

"What happens if the culprit dies?" I asked, "do they not end up like us?"

Marnie smiled softly, "no thankfully. You know the saying 'an eye for an eye'? Well it literally applies here. If you kill another person then effectively you deserve to die if you just so happened to be killed. The laws of life state that you will only be in this state if you weren't supposed to die," she replied. My head was banging and that wasn't because of the two penny sized holes in it either. This was a lot to take in.

"No Grimm Reaper then?" I asked trying to lighten the mood as I massaged my painful temples. Marnie wasn't kidding when she said you would always be cold to touch. It was so cold the touch of my hand on my own skin felt icy and sent shivers all over my body.

"Not that I'm aware of, but who knows? Life is fucked up and death is just as bad," she said with a sardonic grin on her face.

"What about God then? There such thing as the big man upstairs?" My tone was light and I couldn't keep the small smirk off my face which was weird. Surely someone who has been recently murdered my her boyfriend no less should not be making jokes and smiling.

"I haven't passed over so I don't know what happens after here. It's possible that after this there's just nothing or maybe we go up and sit on the fluffy white clouds and mingle with dead celebrities. I don't have an answer and I doubt I ever will," she replied, her tone was a little heavier than mine and I could detect a sadness in her voice. I couldn't help but regret asking her so many questions when it was clearly a sensitive topic. It appears that even in death, I was still a bitch with a bad case of foot in mouth.

"Sorry," I spluttered apologetically, "I don't mean to upset you."

Marnie smiled, "it could be worse. I still have Alec," she replied with a small shrug of her shoulders. I nodded my head as I only just realised that her boyfriend was wrongly killed with her.

"Where is he?" I asked as curiosity got the best of me.

She sighed, "he's off doing the same as me. Finding confused newly dead people and explaining what is going on and why they're here. Since we've been here for so long, we're drawn to the newly dead. It's kind of creepy," Marnie replied turning up her nose in a humorous way.