Chapter Twenty Nine

Song of the chapter is 'Waiting Game' by Banks

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

There's something about the word 'betrayal' — it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. That word has so much power; it can break your heart and ruin your life.

Do you know what it's like to be betrayed? Have you ever been hurt so much by someone's dishonestly or lies that you can't even process it.

You think that there is no way they would have betrayed you.

No, not Tyler.                                          

He would never do anything to hurt me — he said so himself.

But then why did I find myself believing Chase?

I'll tell you why: because deep down I had already accepted the fact that he lied to me and was involved in bringing me down. It didn't make sense for him to be so loving towards me after what had happened over those years. I said it myself at the damn time.

With a laugh he said the words that managed to melt the icy chambers of my cold bitchy heart;

  "Same old Khloe," in his voice I detected a tone I hadn't heard in a while, particularly in relation to me. Fondness. He spoke about me as though I was still his best friend and partner in crime.

I looked up into his eyes to see they reflected the same thing. He looked happy to see someone, and shockingly he was looking at me. What sort of twisted world is this?

"Ty, I don't get you. One minute you're kicking me out of your house and the next you're trying to crack that you have feelings for me? What's with that?"

                "I said I was sorry for that," his voice changing from warm and light to sad in an instant.

                 "I know, I'm not trying to make you feel bad — I'm just confused."

How naive I'd been! I should have seen the signs — I mean he physically removed me from his home and suddenly he's coming after me and tells me he loves me? How did I miss all the signs?

I don't know how long I sat on the floor in the hall with my head against the wall. I could still hear Chase apologising but I didn't have the strength to respond. I couldn't gather my words together in order to tell him that it wasn't fine.

   "Khloe, I swear to god, I never meant for any of this," Chase said for what seemed like the twelfth time.

   "What was the aim then Chase?" I said quietly. I couldn't look at him out of fear of showing him how repulsed I was by him right now. I wanted to throw up. I wanted to cry and scream and cause him pain.

   "I don't know," he stuttered out," but it wasn't this. I didn't want this," his voice made him sound like a genuinely broken man and my heart should have broke for him.

But that was before he betrayed me and ripped the world from beneath my feet.

   "I can't forgive you," I said finally as I looked at him. His eyes were closed and his head was leaning against the wall. His appearance was dishevelled and my words made his face contort of one of pain.

   "I won't forgive you either," I said in an attempt to force the knife further into his heart. I wanted to hurt him like he hurt me.

   "You're pathetic you know that right?" I spat out at him as I struggled to get to my feet. He opened his eyes slowly and tears were pooling in his eyes. He looked truly sorry but how could I trust that he was.