Chapter Forty

Song of the chapter is 'What Do You Mean' by Justin Bieber 

CHAPTER FORTY

In the weeks that followed my confrontation with Tyler, Chase stuck to his side of the plan and befriended Annabelle. They went out together nearly almost everyday and it was obvious to anyone that they were forming a bond. Despite this, it didn't stop people around time whispering about how Chase was a murderer. Some even went as far as to suggest he was an up and coming serial killer - the next Charles Manson even. It was thought that it was a very possible idea that Chase's next victim would be Annabelle.

Thankfully those rumours didn't deter Annabelle from allowing herself to get close to my brother. It was probably because she knew for a fact that Chase was innocent.

There wasn't really much I could do in order to frighten Mack and Tyler any more. I tended to keep my distance and only cause 'spooky goings on' when I thought they would be most susceptible. I had figured that the longer the tension was held as they feared when I would attack, the more enjoyable it was for me to watch their reactions. I had grown quite fond of the many faces Mackenzie would pull when she was given a shock, whether that be seeing me all bloody a message in the steam on the mirror in his bathroom. I chose the phrase "tick tock" simply because I wasn't feeling as creative and truthfully there is only so much you can do with steam.

Before I died, I assumed that the whole writing thing was impossible - I mean who's ever heard of a ghost holding a pen? In my opinion, dying is a lot like living except you become invisible again. You can still feel emotions and you can still hold objects, the only difference is that you don't really have a need to do that any more. Now that I can just walk straight through objects on account of not being an actual physical mass, the very idea of having to open a door sounds like a waste of energy.

I like to think that I'm compiled of star dust. Billions and billions of tiny particles compressed together to create a non physical mass. In my head, the idea is a lot more glitzy and cute so maybe that's why its so appealing. You can take the life out of the girl, but you will never take my glitter.

"Alec can you please stop," Marnie said, her voice bringing me out of my thoughts. We were back in the small garden where we seemed to spend the majority of our time. I looked over to see Alec playfully grabbing her ankle and threatening to pull her off of the bench she was sat on.

"Do you remember when I did actually pull you off of this bench a month after we started dating? You couldn't sit down for a week. I remember Arthur asking me if you were walking like a penguin because I had ploughed you," with that, Alec broke into a fit of laughter and released his grip on her thin ankle and plonked himself onto the bench beside her.

Marnie grimaced at his accusation, "Oh you can laugh but you're not the one who got called into the counsellor's office and given a bunch of pamphlets about safe sex and what to do after you lose your virginity."

Alec just laughed louder and wasn't even deterred when she punched him in the upper arm.

"You are so annoying sometimes," she huffed as she crossed her arms in front of her chest and stared angrily down at the ground.

Alec slowly calmed his laughter before a contented smile came on his face as he swung an arm around his girlfriend's tiny frame and pulled her tight to his side. "Well you're stuck with me," he murmured before bending down and placing a kiss on the side of her forehead.

"You two really are the perfect couple aren't you," I stated as I leaned back on my elbows and stared in their direction opposite me.

Marnie seemed to hide away from my gaze, almost as though she didn't want me to see her blush but what she fails to remember is that since she's dead, that would be almost impossible. Although it was an interesting discovery to find that despite being deceased, our sort of bodies can mimic the feeling of being alive occasionally. Depending on how mad I am, I swear I can feel a heart pounding in my chest and although I know that isn't the case, it feels like it is.