Chapter 2: And this is our place we make the rules

Peter's POV

After I got home from school doing my homework, finishing up some chores from yesterday, and talking with Ned on the phone. I started getting ready to head out and get to the café.

Since I asked MJ if she wanted to be my partner and said yes which is cool. We've never interacted in or out of school besides texting on Instagram.

From what I've heard on social media she's hilarious with her dark humor. She seems cool but I wanna see it for myself. That probably makes me sound like a douche... I'm so stupid, but what else is new?

As I descended down the hallway with my bag that had my laptop in it I was stopped by my aunt. She asked,  "Peter where're you going?"

I turned to her, "Just meeting someone at the café I'll be home soon." I replied.

"Is it a date?"

"Gosh May it's not a date why do you assume I'm going on a date?"

"Well the way you phrased it made me think that also you're a teenage boy Peter."

"I'm gonna stop you right there, walk towards the door and leave before this conversation turns deadly bye May!"

I quickly walked towards our apartment door and was out when she yelled. "I love you, be safe!" She said.

I waved her off, "Love you too May bye." Then I walked to the elevator and clicked on the button that would bring me down to the ground floor. Waving to one of my neighbors who I've housesat for and was on my way to the café.

As I was walking I started down the street to the crosswalk. I had my earbuds in while listening to music walking all the way to the café. Speaking of MJ I've already seen what she looks like so there's no point in texting or calling her. That... was creepy.

I shook my head and walked into the café looking around for MJ then I saw she was on her phone so I walked up to her and sat down so she looked up and I greeted her, "Hey MJ."

"Hey Peter, I ordered some hot chocolate. I hope you don't mind." She said.

"I don't mind at all. Thank you, but you didn't have to do that."

"Nonsense I didn't have to do anything. I could've just sat here sipping all the hot chocolate for myself but that'd be dumb and I didn't want to seem rude so there." She said.

Mental note she really is funny even without her dark humor. "So I had the idea of making a projector that would project anyone's emotions and or feelings based on what color they're wearing." I explained. (Peter is a smart boy!)

"That's a good idea but how are we gonna build it?" She continued, "It'd take months to finish and we only have until March of next year."

"I know a guy who could help. I've already got the blueprints and diagnostics. All we have to do is go to my friend's place and ask to use his equipment." I told her.

She exclaimed, "Sweet! We could work on it now if you'd like."

"Sounds good, let's get us our hot chocolate and head out." We walked to the counter and got our hot chocolate walking out of the café and MJ walking with me.

"Did you walk all the way over to the café?" MJ asked.

"Yup my apartment is like two blocks away from that place." I replied. The rest of the way was filled with silence and occasionally we'd talk about our project. Once we got to my "friends" her jaw dropped and eyes were wide.

"Your... friend... works... at... STARK INDUSTRIES?!" She exclaimed in awe.

I laughed, "Well yeah technically I do, I'm an intern here. I've got access to the labs in case I need somewhere to study." I said.

"Alright let's head in it freezing out here." She said, shivering. We both walked inside and got our passes and I took her to the private lab because I didn't want other interns coming in and interrupting our work.

"Which part should we work on first?" She asked.

"We definitely have to work on the base first otherwise this project will blow itself to hell." I said.

"Alright Parker let's get this thing done." She said.

After hours of building the base of our projector we took a break and we got to talking about life and the holidays. "I'm glad we got to be partners and build this project. It's pretty cool how do you come up with these ideas?" MJ asked.

"I don't know really they just pop up in my head and I just go with the flow I guess." I replied.

"Nice, I'm an artist and have a photographic memory."

"Cool! You're like a superhero." I complimented her.

"Not really, I feel like if I was a superhero I'd suck at it." She said.

I laughed, "Are you kidding me?! I bet you'd kill them with your dark jokes."

"Haha okay Parker whatever you say." She teased.

I looked outside the giant glass windows to see that night was falling. It wouldn't be nice to let my partner walk home alone. "Hey MJ it's getting late, we've been here for hours if you want I can walk you home." I offered.

"Thanks Peter really but I'm taking the subway to my house don't worry I'll be fine when we should work on the project next?" She asked.

"We can work on it at school tomorrow if you want I'll ask my friend if I can use their travel tools." I said.

"Alright then I'll see you at school goodnight Peter."

"Night MJ." I said. I walked her to the elevator and when she went down I went upstairs to where Mr. Stark was in the living room.

"Hey kid, I told May you were staying over don't worry." He greeted me.

"Hey Mr. Stark I don't think May would want me to walk home by myself with how late it is."

"Exactly go get ready for bed you got school tomorrow also that girl seems nice."

"She's pretty cool, her name is MJ."

"I know Peter, I've got video surveillance everywhere."

"Mr. Stark that's beyond creepy." I said.

"Yeah well I don't know this girl and I wanted to make sure you two weren't going to blow up my lab." He explained.

"You have more labs." I sassed.

He turned to me and gave me one of his signature looks. "But still th-that'd be extremely irresponsible of us." I apologized.

"I accept your version of that apology now head to bed kiddo." He said.

"Okay goodnight d- Mr. Stark!" I freaked myself out. Shoot I really hope he didn't catch that. I walked back to my room and onto my bed screaming into my pillow. Then getting dressed for bed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End of Chapter 2