Brett Yang

Brett's POV

It's a Sunday today. But as usual, I always spend all day long practicing. As I stroke my bow to the strings musically, I closed my eyes and feel the beauty of the sound. 

I was not the type of a talker. I pursue music since I was little and that was the only friend I have. 

I met a lot of musicians fellows along the way but I didn't think that I have to be close to them. I grew up with a mindset that all I have to do was to practice, to be the best musician I can be.

But it was different when I started at the orchestra. That time, I was thinking to start a new goal. I've been busking in the street for so long, I knew that I have to grow. So, I searched things and found this orchestra.

My family always been the busy one, so I didn't really have the time to tell them. I reckon they just let me do anything I want as long as it's me making money. I also didn't have any siblings, so I kinda used to the loneliness. (Note: I know he's a big brother irl but I'll just use this to make it more interesting hehe)

But anyway, I registered to the orchestra and got the first violin section. My first day there was the beginning of my changing mindsets.

My deskie was a girl, I'd say with average skills. She sometimes messed up, but I didn't mind that. All violinist have gone through that to get better.

But, what surprised me was.. she talked to me so much at my first day.

"Nice to meet you, Brett, just ask me if you have anything confusing, okay?" She smiled at me back then.

I didn't know what to say, so I just smiled back a little and say thank you. 

I was focus until I hear the conductor said there will be a soloist helping. I didn't really care, but I realized that my deskie was flinched.

I asked her if anything's wrong but she seems didn't really want to talk about it.

After my first day ends, I was thinking to go home fast, I wanted to continue practice again. As I say, there's nothing I would do in my life than practice. But then, I saw my deskie come towards me.

"Hey, you're really good at the violin," she said to me. She looked really impressed. "Um... I can only dream I can be that good."

I looked at her with my deadpan face. I personally didn't think that I was that good though. "Um... thanks. Maybe... we can practice together... sometimes?"

"Really?"

I nodded, and that leads to an extra practice session next week at my house. I was oddly nervous since then, waiting that day to come.

We eventually became friends and even have lunch together during practice break. Something that I never experienced before.

But that week appears to be the answer to my question. I was a little surprised when she asked me out after the practice.

I never practiced with anyone privately before, and no one ever asked me out to hangout since I never have the intention to make friends.

But it was fun. I really enjoyed talking to her while drinking bubble tea. I was happy she loves bubble tea too.

But I was kinda annoyed when this soloist named Eddy Chen came and disturb us. He didn't shake my hand when I introduce myself properly, but he threatened me instead.

"If you must know, I am also gonna be hers soon, so obviously I'm the only one who can hangout alone with her, no?" the soloist look at me in an arrogant face.

I keep a deadpan face, fuming inside hearing those words coming from a person, specially a soloist. How rude. Even though I just knew her, that doesn't mean he have the rights to do that, isn't it?

I can see (y/n) got really annoyed and immediately shut his mouth. Fortunately, he soon left us alone again.

She told me everything about that soloist. How they were childhood friends and currently being close to her parents, to get ready for a marriage. 

I, honestly, had a lot going on inside knowing that. I felt she had a hard time acquainted to that annoying soloist. I even can't understand why her parents needs to force their daughter to marry someone, money wise. 

I also kinda surprised that she had a close friend before. Yeah, I know this is ridiculous. But I just didn't think she have a relationship that close with a boy. It's probably just me, isn't it?

Sigh. I really wish I can do something to help. Its totally unfair. But, what?

I finally walked her home that day, just because I was worried that she would encounter that soloist again. I knew she's tired of this.

It was a silent journey, but I can't stand to look at her in despair. I guess... I kinda felt different about her now. I didn't know what has happened to me but it's just felt different. 

But, for now, I didn't have any choice to do, do I? I'm just... a nobody.

Along the way, I saw an old woman sitting alone in the street. I finally have a reason to break this silentness.

"(y/n), can you give me a minute?" I asked.

(y/n) looked at me with confusion. "Err... sure?"

I walked towards the old woman and hold a conversation for a while with her. I give a little amount of money and calmly smile and bow to her. I'm always happy to spread kindness to them.

"How much did you give?" (y/n) asked when I came back.

"500 AUD."

She instantly raised her eyebrows. "That's a lot!"

I smiled. "It's nice to give back something to the people, you know. After all, we can't live without them."

After that conversation, it was silent again as we walked. But I see her face light up a little, made a smile secretly grew in my face as well.

After we both arrived at (y/n)'s home, she told me good bye at the door and told me to have a safe trip back. 

I was kinda dissapointed that trip went fast. I froze seeing her open her front door, thinking about what happened all day, but immediately called (y/n) again.

(y/n) turned her head in front of the door. "Hm?"

I looked at her deeply. I looked down for a while, feeling a huge doubt inside. My face turns red, but I really feel I should do this.

I walk closer to her again. I took her hand and put a flipped paper on it quickly before my face keeps getting redder. My heartbeat feels like accelerando. I'm really shy doing this.

"Um... I know we've only just met, but... really, if you need any help, you can always call me."

She looked a little surprised seeing the flipped paper. I was scared, did I just do the wrong thing?

I was just going to talk again until I see a grateful smile coming from her. 

"Thank you, Brett." That sentence gave me a huge relief.

Since then, I really starting to think that the orchestra will be even more fun than I expected. 

Specially... with a friend... that I cherished so much.

--

To be continued :)