Brett and Eddy

That afternoon, you were practicing with your violin so seriously. You are a part of an orchestra in Sydney and will have a concert soon. You gracefully phrase your bow through the piece, when suddenly your mom come into your room.

"Hey, (y/n), Eddy's coming tonight for a dinner, dress nicely, okay?" said Mom, making you stop playing and scoffs.

Eddy again. You feel like your whole life is all about Eddy now. He's a success musician and has become rich from his career. You even didn't think that your childhood friend will have a such great life in terms of financial from music. He used to be a clumsy and lazy boy, back in the days he was your neighbour.

But, never mind his past, the thing is, now your parents has been forcing you to make friends even closer with Eddy since you were his friend when you were little. Your parents think that it would be great to have a close friend that is a great musician like him, also to reunite you and Eddy like the old times because Eddy just got back to Sydney, thankfully didn't end up being your neighbour again. Your Mom said he purchased a large house for himself after a long time he saved his money.

You said yes at first, because you also think that you want to see Eddy again after such a long time. You used to be playing with Eddy when you were little, though. But, as times goes by, your parents seems to have other intention with you and Eddy. That is, to marry him.

It's not that you don't like him, but after seeing him again, you realize that Eddy has changed. He wasn't the boy you know in the past because he seems quite arrogant now and didn't think about others like he used to. In the past, he would help others in need, he would invite people to play together, but it's different now. His personality is way too out of place. He even called you a beginner and offer you to learn from him as if he's the most expert in violin. What's most annoying from him now is he always act nice to your parents, but have a big mouth behind them. You didn't have a choice but to accept that your parents happy about him and encourage you to get close to him.

"Does he have to join us?" you asked lazily while reading a sheet music.

"Why not? You know he's a good friend of yours, you have to know him better if you want to be with him, you know," your Mom said happily. "Besides, he's a nice man. Don't you want to marry him?"

"I never said I wanted to marry him," You said. "Besides, I'm still 25, I'm not ready to be married yet. Why are you so excited about it?"

"Well, because you got yourself a wonderful man that will make you happy, (y/n). You should feel lucky to be his partner. You won't have to worry about anything if you start a family with him. He has everything!" Your Mom getting more excited.

You sighed, then immediately getting your violin ready in its case. You feel uncomfortable to talk about him and it's almost time to practice anyway. "Whatever. I have to go to my orchestra practice. Bye, Mom!"

"Hey!" Your Mom shouted to you but you didn't answer.

--

You immediately unpack your violin after you arrived at the hall. You're thinking to warm up a little before practice starts. There are a few of your orchestral fellows that have arrived too by the time you get there, but they are always the social butterflies. They get together and socialize until the conductor comes. But, you prefer to warm up or read some sheet music for your waiting time. Especially when you have a rough time at home, you need some refreshments. Socialize will make you get more stress.

The following of the orchestra members comes one by one as you practice. After the conductor comes, everybody in the hall gets ready with their instrument and make sure to keep focus to the conductor. Noise of socialisation immediately disappears.

You as well, have ready with your instrument in your hands. You look at the conductor silently, as the conductor seems to have brought a new guy. He's a short man with glasses and child-like hair bangs. In his right hand, he brings a violin case. Honestly, you think he's kind of cute as a man. He's not the type like 'the guy of every girl's dreams', but you certainly think he has his own charm.

"Okay, good morning, everyone," said the conductor smiled to everyone. He immediately introduce the guy beside him. "Today, we have someone new joining us at the first violin section, his name is Brett. Be good and play along with him, okay."

Oh, first violin, that means he will be in the same section as me, you thought. He must be quite a musician to get his first violin section at his first appearance here. Even when you thought you are good enough in the violin, you still get second violin when you joined the orchestra, years ago. But he gets the first violin immediately.

After introduction time finished, Brett immediately walk towards you, while the conductor gets his sheet music. There is an empty chair beside you and Brett sits there without talk much. You're the one greets him first.

"Hey." You said to Brett.

Brett turn his head to you. "Oh, hey."

"Nice to meet you, Brett, just ask me if you have anything confusing, okay?" You smiled to him.

He slightly smiled and nod. "Thank you."

Well, I guess he's not much a talker, interesting, you thought, hearing Brett's short answers.

"Okay, today we're going to play Sibelius Violin Concerto for next month's concert," said the conductor. "In the next two weeks, the soloist, Eddy Chen, will join us. Until then, let's practice the orchestra part. I hope you all can be focus."

You freeze hearing the conductor's words. You didn't expect Eddy will help her orchestra, especially when you always trying to avoid him as much as you can. Seems like it will be harder this time around.

Brett seems to notice you flinched a bit, he asked you, "You okay?"

You nod to Brett nervously, because you were not aware Brett noticed you flinched. "Y-Yeah... I'm fine."

"You seem familiar to the soloist, you know him?"

"Well, uh, sort of...," You grinned. "I'll tell you about it later."

--

To Be Continued :)