Chapter 27

(Anna)

Despite the biting cold of the cell, my body was warm and very much alive after that kiss. I steadied myself, gripping tightly onto a bar in my cell. My being was warm to the core, and my breath ragged in my chest. So many old and new emotions were pouring through me as I watched him climb through the tiny window. Some I'd felt before, some I hadn't.

Every nerve in my body was electrified. Kissing him was like kissing a fire. Deadly, Hot and Dangerous. I could still taste the kiss in my mouth. He caught my eyes just before he left. His eyes were pained. I could tell he genuinely didn't want to leave me. "Go!" I hissed. My tone clearly telling him that was an order from a queen. Not a request from an ally. He shot me another painstaking look before disappearing into the dark.

I hear a scuffle above deck and a splash of one of the landing boats hitting the water. I breathed a sigh of relief and slumped back down in my cell. The door to the brig slammed open violently and a horde of Vikings seemed to cram themselves into the room. "She's still here!" I hear one man call back. The barbarians step aside and create a path for the Captain to walk through. His rough leather boots scrape against the hard wood floor of the brig with heavy, thunderous steps.

I do not stand. I simply sit with my back towards the monsters, my knees pulled to my chest. "Where is the boy?!?" He shouts. "Well, obviously not here." I retort, keeping my back towards him. "Insolent woman!" He curses at me, pounding his fist hard against the bar. Attempting to frighten me, but it does the exact opposite. I was just about to rub it in his grotesquely smug, giant face, just how he was not my cousin after all, but a prince with a commanding brigade. How that he would return with troops and blow this ghastly vessel right out of the water. But then it hit me...

I tried my best to bring forth tears, which oddly came easier then expected. "He..." I sniffled like a frighted little lamb. "He ran away, the coward, he left me here... With-with you horrible creatons!." I sobbed with all the sincerity I could muster. "He left me, abandoned his queen and family!" I shriek.

This just made the captain burst out laughing. The giant man clutched his bulging stomach and let out a hearty chuckle. Soon his minions joined in, laughing at the 'tiny coward'.

"Should I turn the ship, give chase and fire the cannons sir?" Groaa asked his leader. "No need for that, it would be a shame to waste valuable firepower on that yellow bellied rat. We have no worries of seeing that boy ever again. Id stake 3 gold coins he's halfway to Nordicc by now." The captain chuckles, slapping his second in command on the back.

After checking my locks and throwing me a blanket, they left me. I pulled the blanket tightly around my shoulders, missing the unnatural warmth of Hans's arms. I smile to myself at my quick thinking, how I had managed to give Hans the chance to escape.

If I had told the truth, that he was a Royal, hell bent on returning for the Queen with troops and weaponry, they would have instantly turned the boat around and blown him out of the water. But nobody wants to search in the dark and fire blindly at the open water in hopes of finding a useless enemy traitor.

Alone again, I closed my eyes and the memories found me again. Like they usually do when I'm alone, in the dark at such a late hour. Flashbacks of losing my sister, not having a chance to say goodbye, or even being able to give her body a proper burial. Those last few moments before Kristoff was taken from me... And of course the pain of seeing an inanimate figure of snow by my side rather then my constant frozen companion, my best friend, Olaf.

But this time the pain wasn't so bad.
True, it was still there, bearing away at me like a lumberjack to a mighty oak. But these last few days, something else had starting to take root in my shattered heart. A spark of happiness, a small flame of hope. Brought to me by the last person I ever thought possible. Hans. And when he had kissed me, even though it was rather abrupt, it felt as if that small spark had been ignited into a roaring flame. Then just as quickly as it lit, when he pulled away, the flame, that joyous spark, was gone.

That's why I had kissed him right before he left. I needed to feel that flame again, to feel something other then fear and loss. And I did, boy did I feel it. This time the flame didn't fizzle out so quickly. No this time, even sitting here, hours later in this cold cell aboard this dreaded ship. It didn't fade, instead I felt the burning embers still inside, warming me to my core.

(GeekPower1)
____________________

-Authors Note-

Sorry for the wait folks, I promise the next few chapters are going to kill your feels, so hopefully my sister and I can make up for it. I can't wait to read your comments, that's always the best part of my day. If you like this work you should check out my current (non fanfiction) WIP Frenemies and let me know what you think.

So much love
-Catalina (GeekPower1)