Chapter 9

(Hans)

1014 AD

I slammed the door behind me.

She was no longer the meek, naive little princess like when I first met her. Frankly this new attitude annoyed me even more.

The war, and her sisters death had hardened her, put ice behind those big green eyes. It takes one to know one.

I walked to the nearest window and pulled apart the rust covered windows, the cool, fresh air washing over me.

I found myself doing this as often as possible, as my cell had no such luxuries. The air of the underground dungeons always tasted stale and smelled like mold. I'd forgotten how much I'd missed the simple pleasure of warm sunlight on my face.

I scowled to myself as I glanced back to her doors. She would back on her feet soon, and the blessing of confining her to that one part of the castle would soon be over.

Prince Hans cursed under his breath, as he had done many times since arriving. His father had taken great lengths to ensure no loopholes, no possible way for him to escape this suicidal task. He had no choice but to stay, fortify this pathetic vacation castle to withstand an brutal attack, and keep that brat Anna, alive.

She looked so different, though it's only been half a year since their last meeting. She wasn't as gangly as she used to be, even under that thick wool dress, he could see the makings of more womanly curves.
She was thinner from the meager rations obviously, but there also something else, about her as well.

Her cheeks had lost the constant color of happiness, that bright faced smile...

My army had defeated the small band of Vikings that had gone after the new queen, but I knew it was only a matter of days before the rest tracks us down here.

Then I'm going to have full blown war on my hands.

I shuffled anxiously at the thought of leading a defense against an army. Sure I'd had my fair share fights, mostly helping my brothers break up dens of thieves, or tracking down pirates hiding in our bays. But as the youngest of 13, I'd never led anything. Only 14 at the time of the last war, I had been to young to accompany my brothers on the battlefield. And whenever any of our allies required military assistance my father had always sent one of my 4 eldest brothers.

I heard loud footsteps, and the rattling of porcelain as Lieutenant Briggs clambered up the steps, tray of food in hand. Followed closely by my second in command, Commodore Ascot.

"Meal for the her Majesty." Briggs announced with a respectful nod.

"Don't just stand there, bring it in to her." I ordered.

"But sir..." The young soldier shuffled his feet.

"In her currant condition, she may require assistance."

"Well, I'm not stopping you. Get on with it." I said rolling my eyes at the man.

Commodore Ascot, the aging but battle hardened friend of my father, cleared his throat.

"Prince Hans, you father has given strict orders that you are the one who will tend to Queen Anna, should she fall ill or injured."

Dad really knows how to push my buttons, doesn't he....

"Fine." I whined like a small child.

Yanking the tray out of his hands, I used my back to push the doors open. At the noise, Anna's sleeping eyes fluttered open.

"What do you want?" She squinted them at me.

"I'm here with your meal, because my father insists I wait on you hand and foot." I replied, irritation dripping in my voice.

I set the tray down onto her lap, and plopped down into the chair I had pulled up beside her bed earlier.

She reached a hand out to pick up a spoonful of the mushy green soup, but her hands were still unsteady, and their was more soup on her bed then in her mouth by the time the spoon reached it.

I took the spoon out of her hand, scooped another spoonful and held it out infront of her.

"No, I'm not THAT hungry." She spat in defiance.

As if on cue, her stomach let out a deafening growl.

"Sure about that Princess?"

______________________

-Authors note-

Sorry this weeks update was a little slow. We will try not to let that happen again, sorry guys! We love reading your comments, you guys are awesome!!! -Geekpower1