Chapter 39

(Hans)

As swiftly as we could, we rounded up all the prisoners of war and locked them into the immaculate prisons of Arendale.

Oddly enough I found myself jealous of the pristine prison conditions they had here.

Clean and orderly, a walk in the park compared to the dungeons we had back home. The cold and misarable dampness I  had experienced In the Southern Isles was driven away by several large fire pits.

The roaring fires kept the scum of the kingdom warm and dry. I had not been so fortunate.

I left a squadron of a dozen men to maintain the prison,  and promptly galloped for the Cove in which I had hidden away my kingdoms swiftest vessel.  The Guardian. 

In order to keep the weight low, I ordered all the horses to remain on land. This order was obeyed fine to all but one. 

I had a mutinous reindeer on my hands, forcing his way up the ramp.

I cross my arms and look over to Kristof.  Expecting him to do something. 

"I cannot force him to stay." He speaks for the first time since he killed the viking officer. "He has a mind of his own. He goes where I go."

I bite back the urge to have the beast restrained. Though he hadnt said anything,  was obvious that this ice merchant had never taken a life before. He wasn't dealing very well with it. If I did that to his companion,  it might just push him over the edge. "Very well."

Several of my officers do a double take. Was I, the most arrogant prince in probably the last hundred years, letting someone, let alone a commoner, disobey a direct order?

I had to reassure my authority. "I said all the horses." I announce sternly. "That is clearly not a horse. Now get a move on, we must reach the island by nightfall!"

○○○○○○○○○○○

( Anna )

I could hear the cry of seagulls above the ship. The sun was setting. The ship were nearing the island.  Sailing steadily closer and closer to my doom.

My only hope is the slim slim possibility that Hans somehow made his way back to Arendale. But the chances of that were low. If  such a thing we're to happen, if by some good graces he did manage to gather b the armies, storm the island and defeat these invaders.... By the time he arrived here... I would be ruined. Married, forced upon, and more then likely carrying the child of a disgusting barbarian. The damaged queen of a war torn nation.

I forced myself to stop thinking of my only two plausible scenarios. Instead I found myself wishing for the best.

Maybe he would make it here it time... Maybe our combined armies could defy all odds and defeat an enemy we are so clearly out numbered against.  Maybe we could go home safely. 

Then my mind wandered even futher. Maybe Hans wouldn't have to return to his kingdom right away.... Maybe he could stay for a little while.  Maybe we could....

I was violently snapped out of my maybes by a bundle of cloth being thrown at me. "Put it on." Snarled the one called Groaa. 

I looked up to find that the Captain was once again back in the brig. He, along with several of his goons had gathered around my cell. I was in such a fear induced haze I hadn't even noticed. A basin, brush and washcloth had been passed through the bars and now laid out at my feet.

I grab the bundle and unsteady rise to my feet. It's a crimson garment.  What looked like a rather delicate red dress.  The type of red that clashed horribly with my near ginger hair. "What is this for?"  I ask through narrowed eyes.

"Its wedding attire for the blushing bride." Groaa mocked me before his superior sent him a look that clearly stated to shut up.

"Clean yourself up and dress properly to meet the Lord of the Vikings."

I looked down, indeed, beneath my cloak, I was still in my nightdress. The once pristine white silk was now caked in mud and dirt from the floor. I didn't at all look like a regal royal.

"I will do no such thing!" I spat. That dress looked like something a cheap harlot would wear. I would not make myself up for a husband I do not wish to marry.

He will not marry a delicate flower, regal queen, decorated in perfume and jewels.  Displayed like a diamond in a glass case.

No, let this monster marry the girl of whose country he destroyed. I'd rather be the war prize in the disheveled nightdress.

The representation of what has been done to my beloved kingdom.

He didn't argue,  he didn't even answer.  Instead he just nodded to his guards. On cue my cell was unlocked and two of them stepped inside. My heart pounded in my chest. As the sense of fear quickly spread. 

Two of the men grabbed my arms and lifted me as easily as one might lift a quill to paper. I struggled but it was useless.  They set me down onto the stool and held me firmly.  Then a third man appeared washcloth in hand, he began violently scrubbing my face and neck with the coarse rag. I uttered not a word, but never ceased trying to break free. Next he in humanly yanked at my braids until they undid. Running the whale bone brush so hard through my hair I thought my scalp bled. Next he picked the dress up that I had tossed to the floor.

"Now you can either dress yourself, or my men will do it for you!" The Captain sneered.

--------------

Sorry for the wait.

We've just been really busy.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

How is the fan art coming.  I for one can't wait to see it!!! Don't forget to vote and comment.

You guys are the best!

-Geekpower1.