Chapter 46

Kristof... I can't believe it's Kristof!
I had thought to myself as I held him in a tight embrace.

For so long I thought he was dead, and had mourned him continuously. I breathe in deeply, wanting to smell his warm familiar scent... Nearly gagging on the fresh stench of spilled blood in the process. Not something I thought I'd ever smell on good-natured, peace centered Kristof.... But there it still was, I realized in relief.  Beneath that horrible crimson smell... The fragrance of the forest, the scent of pine needles and the carrots, soothing me despite the chaos that was erupting around us, as the battle raged on above deck.

I held Kristof, and my heart was filled with an incredible warmth and immence relief that he was alive... my eyes flitted gratefully towards Hans. Who shot me an almost painful smile in return. The type that can cut right into you.

He was responsible. He had done this. He had done all of this. He had kept his word, and faced God knows what unknown perils to make it back to Arendale.  He had rallied my troops and cross an ocean for me. He had brought my Kristof back to me.
Why?

It was hard to believe that this was the same, cold blooded man who would once left me to die. Kristof pulled me in for a gentle kiss, warm and soft.

But I immediately thought about the way Hans had kissed me.... Feeling immediately guilty at the fact that I knew he wasn't cold... he wasn't cold at all.

I halted such traitorous thoughts. My heart belongs to the man in my arms. Not the one who tried to kill my sister. Forcing them to a screeching stop I just tried to enjoy the brief few seconds I had left with my courtier, before the reality of the ongoing battle would hit us both.

As Kristof lifted me through the window I glanced back at him, standing there vigilantly,  sword drawn against the door, not a hint of cowardice or sign of fear only pure determination.

"He's not coming with us?!" I state with slight panic back to Kristof, who tenderly held an infant in one hand and a pickaxe in the other, urging me forward and through the window.  A part of me wanted to push back... go stand by his side and help him...

"No he asked me to get you all to safety." He replied, voice laden with just a hint of guilt, once we were standing inside the hull of the opposite ship. He placed the infant back into the arms of its mother. "Now I've got to go back and help him." He threw his helmet to the ground, swinging the axe just slightly in his grip. In a swift, unexpected motion, his arm was around his back and he pulled me into another hug. "How I've missed you Anna."

"Ditto." I reply into shoulder quietly. "Get them into th the pantry and barracade the door. Nobody will think to search there." With a weary half smile, he steps back and is soon heading up the stairs to the upper deck. "You heard the Official Arendale Ice Master." I urge. "To the pantry!"

Once all the others are inside I shut the door behind them. "Sister Anna!" I hear Meeli call from behind the door, striking it with a fists. "I'm fine." I confirm. "Lock the door and barracade it, my men with fight to the last breath before they let anyone down here."

The ship lurches at another powerful cannon blast. The other ships were in firing range, I realized with dred.

"What about you?!?" Calisto, The girl from the Greek empire called frantically. I sighed, unsure of what to say. Queens are always supposed to know what to say.   Elsa would know what to say.

I guess I could always go with the truth.
"I'm not going to lie..." I take a deep breath. "The odds are not in our favor." Not even close. "Look.." I place my hand against the heavy wooden door frame. "When I wasn't there... that's when I lost the people I cared the most about. I'm not going to let that happen again. Not if I can help it. If this is the end, I need to be there... with them." I paused, gathering courage. Kristof and Hans were up there, fighting for me. And as much as I hate to admit it, I care deeply about what happens to both of them. "I'm done standing on the sidelines. Giving orders from afar. If we're going down,  I'm going down fighting, fighting beside them."