Chapter 37

JACKS POV

It's been over 200 years since I last rode a horse, and I can't say I missed it. I As soon as I was given the ability to fly, I never needed a horse again. This was the first of many changes for me as my being was turned mortal again.

I took the pen out of my pocket and looked it over curiously. It was just a silver ballpoint, like one you could find at any bank.  Why would the man in the moon give me a pen? He said at the right time I would know, so it must be important,  but at the moment I am clueless. Against probably better judgment, I pushed down on the push point.. Then again.. And again.. But nothing happened. It was really just a pen.

Elsa and I rode side by side as Delilah led the way. The father up the mountain we climbed, the colder it got.
Wait, this is cold?

I felt cold, for the first time since my death, I was feeling cold. Later,  we stopped  to let the horses rest for a bit.  Elsa walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me. Her normal 'warm to me' hugs now felt like I was being encased in ice. I didn't have the heart to tell her that though so instead I wrapped my arms around her ice cold body and bared the freeze. She smiled into my neck at my touch.

Delilah noticed my shivering, she strode  over and handed me a coat out of her saddle bag. Extremely grateful I found myself quickly snatching it out of her hands and putting it on. Elsa raised an eye brow, but then her eyes widened in understanding.

"Why didn't you say something." She whispered, gulping with obvious guilt. 

"I didn't want to worry you" I told her truthfully.

"Then you should have told me, you could've gotten a cold." She said worried.

"Its ok, I'm fine." I shake my head as I pulled her back into a hug. This time the warm fox coat blocked her cold body from mine.

"Alright you two, I think that's about enough of that for one day don't you think?" Delilah said with a annoyed look, rolling her eyes. "We need some water"

I looked around, nothing but snow and ice covered everything. "And where do you think we'll find that?" I asked.

"There's a stream over there" she said pointing over to a patch of snow. "It's buried under the snow. If we break the ice layer on top, we will have fresh running water."

I nodded and began walking to the patch of snow that Delilah had pointed to. Both her and Elsa began to follow me. I turned around to face them and put my hands up into a 'stop' position.

"I might only be a man," I said looking at Elsa knowingly. "But I still can do somethings, myself."

Elsa nodded in understanding with a soft smile before she turned to Delilah and led her back to the horses.

••••

Elsa's POV

I smiled softly at Jack, knowing that he wanted to do something for himself and not feel completely useless. It was breaking my heart to see him so fragile.

His complexion was steadily changing. Even Delilah was noticing.  "Didn't he have white.... no it must have been just snow. " She reassures herself.

I led Delilah back to the horses who wanted for us patiently, nibbling on the snow covered leafs of a small tree.

Delilah let out a breath. "Dakota" she began, and I felt a small glimmer of guilt  for lying to her about my name. Dakota was such an unusual name, but It was the first thing that came to me. It was the name of the serving girl at one of the cookaries we had purchased meals. But I didn't know this woman. How am I to know she wouldn't just sell us off to the enemy if she found out who we were? She hasn't given me any reason not to trust her but I just can't take that chance. The world is full of dark, evil people who would  manipulate your trust just get what they want. Just ask Anna.

"I am sorry." She continued. "Snapping at you and your courtier earlier was wrong of me. I guess it just reminded me of something that I am trying so hard to forget."

I gave her a small smile.

"A man, isn't it?" I asked.

She hung her head low for a moment before she shook it and brought it back up again. "Is it wrong for me to love someone who loves someone else?" She asked sadly.

I looked at her. I could tell she was a strong woman and for her to be this upset over a man must be killing her.

"It isn't wrong." I said looking at Jack. I fell in love with him when I shouldn't have. The right thing to do would've been to leave him were he belongs and not mess with the balance of nature. But that's not what he wanted,  that's the thing about love, I realized this now. Sometimes what you should do isn't the best thing, Because you miss out on the chance of love, and happiness. That's never the right thing. "Does he know how you feel?" I asked.

"Well I... I don't think so." She stuttered

"How could you let him go without at least letting him know? I don't mean that you should go after a taken man. All I am saying is you need to give him the opportunity to choose who he wants to be with, if you don't you'll regret it."

"Your right." She said. "But what if I am not the better choice?" She asked. "In fact, I know I'm not the better choice. It's no competition." She sighs.

"Dont put yourself down like that. Any man who wouldn't want you is a fool anyway. You don't need a fool do you?" I asked with a smile trying to lighten her up.

She cracked a small smile. "Thank you Dakota"

••••

Big thank you to all the fans who have voted and commented on this book! We love you guys!! (Mariska98)